Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '98 Outback and I'm trying to get the air filter out for inspection....the housing differs from the '96 models...there's only two latches instead of 4.

What's the trick to getting the air filter out?

Thanks...

--Damien

After popping the latches pull up on the upper housing. Are you the original owner or when was the last time it was changed? Sometimes the rubber seal will stick to the housing to where it is fairly hard to pull them apart.

A '98 Outback, I presume, would have pretty much about the same intake as my '99 Outback. EJ25, right?

The air filter is on the passenger side, right? What you're supposed to do is push the upper-half of the plastic intake towards the center. What you want to do is make the flexible part of the hose smaller, then pull up on it once you get enough clearance to move it up.

Hope that helps.

great...figured it out. Oh...BTW...I strongly recommend using a Subaru filter instead of those you'd find at auto parts stores. K&N filters seems 'iffy' to me but may work well....supposedly you'd get a couple of HP out of them...

Thanks!

--Damien