Ultimate Subaru Message Board

amc eagle

has anyone ever owned an AMC Eagle? do they make decent vehicles? my son is soon to inherit my lifted 97 legacy and i'm kicking around the idea of maybe getting myself an old eagle. either that or a forester. i've already done the lifted soobie thing , i think i'd like to try something else this time around. any input on the old AMC's would be appreciated. curtis

They are an AMC product, so, there is going to be a few new things to learn. Some of the wiring is counterintuitive if you've grown up on Chevys or Fords. The drivetrains are sound. Especially the 258 inline 6. It is an absolutely bulletproof motor, and many have rolled 300k with maintenance. The rest of the drivetrain is equally sound, and despite the fact that the company is extinct, parts are pretty readily available. Some of the odd stuff you may have trouble finding, but, all the drivetrain essentials are out there. AMC was pretty notorious for compatible parts throughout different lines of cars, so, you may find the part you need on another AMC model. Their build quality is typical late 70s early 80s stuff. Fitment won't be amazing, but, if you're into Subarus you'll probably be used to that. I'd say go for it. We have 3 AMCs, and I'd gladly buy another. I actually kind of am considering doing so at the moment. :lol: They definitely are something different.

yeah they are good looking vehicles. the problem for me is they're even more scarce than SUBARU's in this neck of the woods. thanks for your input, i appreciate it. i'm really leaning more towards a forester but if i can't make that happen i want an eagle. thanks , curtis

Don't let the scarceity prevent you from getting one. As I said, most of the drivetrain parts are readily available in the aftermarket. Alot of the stuff is shared throughout American automakers in that time period. I know the Eagles shared some parts with Jeeps of the period. Any of the specific stuff like body parts, or interior parts can be found on an AMC specific forum. I'm a member over at "TheAMCForum.com", and you would be amazed how many of us there are. There is a healthy network of parts around the country, and the enthusiasts are downright rabid about helping each other keep these things on the road. The entire AMC/Rambler brand was one of frugality, and ingenuity. That's something that can still be seen in its' enthusiasts. There is a good following for the Eagles, and I'd be really surprised if you had a hard time finding parts for one with a tool like TheAMCForum.com at your disposal. A Forester will be worth less tomorrow while an Eagle is starting to climb in value. Just sayin'.....:lol: We'd love to have another member...:)

but would you believe that i haven't even saw one since i lived in michigan over 10 years ago , and most people here in south carolina look at me like i'm frigging crazy if i ask them about AMC?! it's crazy. my uncle use to have one back in the 80's. i loved it. he also had an AMC spirit AMX, that thing was awesome!! i'm thinking that if i headed north and looked in the mountains in north carolina i could probably find one or two sitting in people's yards for sale. curtis

I have always wanted one. It was the 4wd wagon that i desired before discovering subaru.

I remember reading an issue of 4wheeler magazine, in the back article, about an amc for off road. The editorial replied about how it would need a body lift to work, but otherwise, swaps with jeep for driveline parts.

And i thought to myself "Subarus are body lifted all the time"

So therefore an amc eagle with a ody lift a'la Subaru would be more capable as a jeep would be.