Ultimate Subaru Message Board

would it be a good idea to use a electric supercharger on a ea81?

Electric superchargers (real ones) are expensive and require serious amperage to run. They do work for short bursts of acceleration though.

If you put a CAI on your car, you're most likely looking at a boat bilge ventilator fan, repackaged as an "electric s/c" to sell to ricers too dumb to know better. They can't move enough air at any pressure to supercharge an engine. It's a hoax, and you might as well put magnets on your fuel line for an equal performance increase.

You can see real performance gains from a gas powered leaf blower however, and it might fit where the spare tire goes. Kind of a pain to get out and pull start your supercharger every time you need to go fast though.

You can get a surprising amount of torque out of a modified EA81 but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble (EJ swap would probably be less work). Mine turned out very well though. EA81 Solid lifter block, NOS EA71 pistons, Delta torque cam, ported heads-milled .020", each deck milled .005, SPFI conversion modified to run more timing and fuel, NGK plugs with gap increased to .045" 2-wire grounded o2 sensor, ect. I don't have any numbers but it pulls hard from off idle to right up to over 4 grand (would go higher but it's still pretty fresh).

Good Luck!

Edited by Crazyeights

a friend actually got 15 HP on a dyno by plugging in an electric leaf blower and running it into his engine.it used the shop's AC...

Unless he got it on a dyno, we all have a freind that got something.

A real supercharger will use 10hp to 80 (serious drag monster), You cant afford to use that 10 to just make 20 more.

Especially on an old engine.

Search the net aunder electric supercharger scam and you will see lots of info on it.

If it was possible dont you thjink the car compaines would throw a 20.00 blower on the car instead of a 1000.00 turbo/super charger?

If it was possible dont you thjink the car compaines would throw a 20.00 blower on the car instead of a 1000.00 turbo/super charger?

It's the long extension cord that's the problem...

a friend actually got 15 HP on a dyno by plugging in an electric leaf blower and running it into his engine.it used the shop's AC...

That's why you need the gas powered one, more portable.

A leaf blower is a substantially larger fan then the bilge ventilators being sold as "electric superchargers".

Mine turned out very well though. EA81 Solid lifter block, NOS EA71 pistons, Delta torque cam, ported heads-milled .020", each deck milled .005, SPFI conversion modified to run more timing and fuel, NGK plugs with gap increased to .045" 2-wire grounded o2 sensor, ect. I don't have any numbers but it pulls hard from off idle to right up to over 4 grand (would go higher but it's still pretty fresh).

Good Luck!

Don't mean to hijack, but do you have a seperate thread going into more detail about your engine? Pics?

I'd love to read and learn more about successful EA builds, I really have very little interest in the whole "just EJ it" thing. No offense to anyone, but I don't offroad or race my Subie, and I like my spare tire and ice cold A/C right where they are. ;)

My build was inspired by backwoodsboy's build so I didn't take a lot of pictures. He covered that REALLY well!

Performance EA81 Build

I used GD's SPFI conversion with my own fuel pressure hack to supply a little more fuel. I also enabled EGR by making a .250" spacer for the IAC valve. This seems to reduce cylinder temperature and allow a little more timing. The sweet spot is about 34psi fuel pressure and 28 degrees timing. Getting the valves adjusted was a PITA;

EA81 SPFI

Lastly here is a picture of it right before I dropped it in. It took a some time and LOTS of tweaking before I had it tuned and running the way I wanted it. It has about 5000 miles on it now and runs GREAT! Lots of low end - mid range torque starting right off idle.

EA81 Done

Now, back to the regularly scheduled thread:grin:

Edited by Crazyeights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uberoo

Unless he got it on a dyno, we all have a freind that got something.