Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapping from an automatic to a DR 5 speed?

I got me a bit of a dilemma, and am looking for some opinions or a bit of advice.

I’ve been shopping for a GL/Loyale for months, and I’ve saved up the cash, and have been somewhat picky about what I wanted.

I want SPFI, DR 5 speed, Air conditioning, full gauges, plus I’d like it to be red in color.

I know I’ve been a little to picky and that’s why I haven’t got one yet.

There is this one car how ever that I have looked at and test drove and it’s sweet, it’s got everything I want, right down to the red paint, it’s in good shape, except for a dent in the hood and two rusty front fenders, which is no big deal, my son in law has a body shop, so the hood and fender problem is an easy fix, and the dent and rust are miner anyway.

The car is an automatic, so I originally wanted to stay away from it, but after looking at mile foxes videos on doing a trany swap from an auto to a manual, it don’t look like it’s that bad of a job, and my thinking is that I may be better off buying this car and doing the swap rather then keep looking.

An older guy own it, it’s been well taken care of, no oil leaks, not an oil burner, and it has less then 100,000 on it, and it’s had regular service, so I’m starting to think that maybe I should make him an offer, but I think his asking price is a little high, he started out at 2500, dropped to 2300, and now I’m thinking that maybe I should offer him 2000.

Probably a little high for what the car is, but I guess my main question is, how bad is it to swap from an automatic to a DR 5 speed, from what I see it don’t look that bad.

I don’t know of I should make an offer, or keep looking

I have been helping on this search for a vehicle and have also been searching the forums.

One request - a write-up. Complete. I have read that its pretty straight forward. I have found SOOO many posts on the "parts" required, but not so much how to do it.

Out of the pure nickname - autoTRAGIC, I vote for a 5 speed S/R Loyale - 5 speed D/R swap.