Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uhmm... avoid that particular dealer when buying parts...

The studs were very cheap ($1.25-ish) from 1stSubaruParts. The exhaust gaskets are not *that* far off for OEMs (depending on the year).

Being so close to NY, are you familiar with SubaruOnlineParts? Their prices are somewhat similar to 1stSubaruParts, but I think they charge actual shipping.

Uhmm... avoid that particular dealer when buying parts...

The studs were very cheap ($1.25-ish) from 1stSubaruParts. The exhaust gaskets are not *that* far off for OEMs (depending on the year).

Being so close to NY, are you familiar with SubaruOnlineParts? Their prices are somewhat similar to 1stSubaruParts, but I think they charge actual shipping.

Never heard of SubaruOnlineParts but they ship from Hicksville, NY which is cool because most of my Subaru parts ordering I would order from http://www.subaruparts.com/

But something like a exhaust stud the shipping would eat up the savings. the gaskets I'm just going to pick them up local I wished Subaru would have a little bit more uniform pricing among dealers.

auto parts stores have studs that will work in Subaru's - you have to match it/find it yourself though - the listings/computers won't show it.

the ones the store i used to go to had would have a small unthreaded section on it, leaving one threaded section shorter than the other. you thread the SHORTEST side into the block first so that the longer side gives full thread exposure to the nut. if you do it the other way the nut runs into the unthreaded section. install the short side first and the threaded section is covered up by the flange.

it's really simple when you see it.

I installed the untreaded section down

I doubt you go tthem in far enough then and won't be able to tighten the Y pipe and gasket down properly.

I'd remove them and turn them around. Anti-seize is your friend(to make it easier next time.

I save those studs because they are mor ehtan you'r think (jsut like ht ecoated nuts form the dealer). If anyone close needs some drop me a PM because I have them in my parts bin from cars I've scrapped.

I do believe al lmy local parts stores stock studs that'll work. But I do go to the dealer for the studs and those expensive nuts used on exhaust, motor mounts, and eng to trans. They just dont rust/deteriorate much and it makes it nicer for the next fella.

the studs are fine and I had no issues putting the Y pipe back on.. which really does not matter since next month I'm taking it off to put something else on.

They all have that odd notch or whatever on the flange I'm not sure if it came like that from the factory or what.