Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Tool

okie bill

GD

Seems to be the difference between experiance and "the book". Do you mean that I can raise the rocker assembly up, run through the torque sequence, then remove the sockets and torque the rocker assembly down ?

Not trying to be obnoxious. I learned in my time as a telephone tech. that the book is for 1st timers and part of being a good tech. is learning which parts I didn't have to follow exactly.

Bill

Sorry - I should have been more clear.

What we do is simulate the rocker assembly using two sockets or a stack of nuts that is approximately the same height as the rocker assembly. Thus you torque the head without the rocker assembly in place.

Then you remove the two bolts, take out the spacers, and install the rocker assembly and torque it.

This is a perfectly acceptable procedure and many people (including myself) have used it without issue. Even Subaru reccomends loosening, lubricating, and retightening the head bolts/nuts after a run-in cycle using their head gaskets. The Fel-Pro's have proven very durable for the EA's and they specifically don't require a retorque so most of us use them instead. Thus using this installation procedure along with the HG's that don't require a retorque makes this tool basically obsolete.

:)

Also - I did make a reduced socket like that once - I did it to check that the Fel-Pro's indeed did not loosen, etc. I was unable to get any of the bolts/nuts to further tighten with my torque insturment set to the final value.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 2 months later...

Or you can just buy one off the Mac tool truck for 30 bucks...It is actually designated for Honda heads, but it works for any 14mm 12 point head bolt style. It more then likely won't work for on car head assembly, but it sure makes ease of out of engine bay head work.

Then again I have the luxury of seeing the tool truck every week.

Here's a pic....except its 10mm

Pat on the back none the less.