Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intermittent shift lock / no horn / no cruise problem

97 GT wagon w/ a 96 ej22 swap. 154k miles.

last year i replaced the clock spring from a 96 w/ 125k miles. this fixed the no horn / no cruise problem. i do not remember a shift lock problem before the repair.

but today, for the first time, i had a shift lock problem. i couldn't get it out of park. no combination of pushing, pressing or shifting would get it to unlock. so i removed the shifter trim piece and used the manual release.

then, while driving, i noticed i had no horn / no cruise. GREAT, i need another clock spring. but i continued on my way and at some point my horn returned to service. (i couldn't test my cruise since i was on gravel , back woods , roads.)

once it got to my destination everything seem to work fine, horn and shift lock.

later, several hours, when it was time to go home my shift lock did not work. checked the horn, no horn. press, push, wiggle, fiddle. now they both work. (about a 5 sec. time span.)

what the hell?

has anyone ever seen or heard of this problem????????

this feels like i have ghost in my car.

thanks, john.

Start by checking all your grounds and cleaning them. It may just be easier to run one or two new ones. Look at the fuses and see if they share a common power lead, check the fuseable links as it sounds like a connection going someplace

Edited by nipper

Not sure on Subaru's, but on my Land Cruiser (you know, same country of Mfg...maybe similarities) when a tail light goes out the Park Pawl, horn, and I think turn signals stop functioning. This is intentional to let the driver know the light is out. If you don't read the manual you think you have a serious issue. I replaced the bulb and everything worked again. Since this is intermittent it's probably a short or loose bulb, tough to trace, but it might help you track down the short. Good luck!