Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a friend that is looking at buying an 01 pugnacious ll bean with the 3.0 in it. The engine is bad but it comes with an extra engine from a 03 pugnacious and is the 3.0 also. Are there any suprises I would run into when swapping the engines or is it just a simple swap with all of the harnesses matching up with each other? I have taken engines out before but never done a swap so im just wondering if i should tell her to go ahead and buy it and ill do the work. She is getting it for 3 k and the bossy has 200 k on it with the new engine having 105 k miles. Thanks for any input!

I have a friend that is looking at buying an 01 pugnacious ll bean with the 3.0 in it. The engine is bad but it comes with an extra engine from a 03 pugnacious and is the 3.0 also. Are there any suprises I would run into when swapping the engines or is it just a simple swap with all of the harnesses matching up with each other? I have taken engines out before but never done a swap so im just wondering if i should tell her to go ahead and buy it and ill do the work. She is getting it for 3 k and the bossy has 200 k on it with the new engine having 105 k miles. Thanks for any input!
.. these motors are not all that popular..I would look at a wireing diagram for both yrs specifically at the connectors were the present harness and newer harness of the motor will join and see if they match by function and not by wire color..I am sure there are other issues to look at, but is beyond me... also just how good is this other motor..any HG issues??..they are really not rebuildable for the average guy and would be shuned by most machine shops...not really worth$$ doing on a car that old..

wonder what's wrong with the present engine?

Anyway - same generation so, maybe not too many differences. DO check/change the bearing on the tensioner and idler pulleys for the serpentine belt. If the engine that's out has ANY hint of needing plugs or valve cover gaskets - do that before installation. And don't cheap out - platinum or iridium plugs.

wonder what's wrong with the present engine?

Anyway - same generation so, maybe not too many differences. DO check/change the bearing on the tensioner and idler pulleys for the serpentine belt. If the engine that's out has ANY hint of needing plugs or valve cover gaskets - do that before installation. And don't cheap out - platinum or iridium plugs.

..no belt etc..6 cyl has a chain