Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Passing wire through firewall 2000 legacy

I just installed my drawtite trailer hitch and wiring harness.....well almost..

I ran the power wire that goes to the battery under the carpet and got it to under the dash. The problem is, I can't find an access hole to run the wire to the engine compartment. I just quit because it's late and will finish it in the morning. Anyone know if a good access spot to run the power wire? I believe it is a 12g wire. Figured I would ask here to see if anyone ran into this problem. This is the first car I could not find a access spot.

Also, the drawtite hitch hangs a lot lower than I thought... Not to happy with design.

Thanks,

Geo

The 96 - 99 cars had a good spot right where the fuel lines come into the fire wall behind the drivers strut tower. There are 3 lines, but a plug in the firewall with 4 "nipples". Poke a hole in the empty one and feed the wire through.

Man,had i known about that spot i would of stopped poking a hole through the grommet for the clutch (or brake) when i would run power for the Amps..

I found a spot. Just below the clutch cylinder was an empty rubber plug. Poked a hole in it and ran the wire there. Ended up above the gas pedal. Worked perfect. I will tow with the Subaru for the first time tomorrow. Still very unhappy with how low the drawtite hitch sits. I have seen way better fitting hitch systems.

Thanks for the help.

Geo

Right on, near where the clutch is/would be there is a nice large plugged hole. In the Subaru service manual, I did see one time where they mentioned using this hole as part of a diagnostic procedure. I think it was to run a transmission pressure gauge through it to be able to watch it while driving on the auto trans. Maybe that was the hole for the clutch pedal I am thinking of since mine's an auto.