Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where did Subaru hide the voltage regulator?

TRUST ME, you want to buy a junkyard alt instead. have you ever had an alt apart, you have to hold the regulaotr in there, while you line up the brushes, and push the shaft in, while holding the case apart, then you push it all together, perfectly. no fun at all. and not easy without ruining the brushes, or the regulator itself. the regulator is in the front or rear, where the staft would be.

Originally posted by calebz

does a soob alt have the little holes to put paperclips in to hold the brushes in place while it goes back together like a GM alt?

Yep it dose, mine was on the blink and I tore it down, I thought it was a bad regulator.. turned out I had a couple of diodes that head de-soldered from the plate (dont ask me how :rolleyes: ). A bit of a trick to re-solder but you gotta love a no dollar fix.

The trouble I’ve found is that nobody sell alternator parts anymore, just complete units, anybody have a source on parts?

Gary

$70!?!?!! ouch. Does that come with a kick in the arse too?

We have Checker, Napa, and Autozone here. I got a new regulator for $17.99. I did a bunch of alternator/starter teardowns a few years ago in auto shop. I still remember the jist of it anyways. And i've got a Haynes manual. Should be set. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.