Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2012 2.5 CVT Premium loaner

Well, I dropped Kaylee (our 2003 Outback) off this morning for the big timing belt + "while you're in there" job. Gonna be an expensive day.

My loaner car is a 2012 Outback Premium with the CVT.

Impressions after driving around this morning:

- HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS HUGE! At least when you are comparing it to the 1996, 2003, and 2006 Outbacks that I have driven for the past 5 years or so. Parked beside my 2003 it sits a good few inches higher at the hood, roof, and driver's seat, bumper to bumper is no significant difference. On the positive side, this is the first Outback I can put the driver's seat all the way back and have more room than I need instead of being slightly cramped. (I'm 6'4" with long legs.)

- CVT was much nicer than I expected. It required a slightly heavier foot to just start moving than I am used to, but once moving I had no complaints about performance on city or highway. It takes some getting used to to not feel any gear changes but it would not be a deal breaker for me. The steering wheel paddle controls aren't the most comfy things to my hands, but it made it a little more fun for on-ramps and passing.

- Had it up to 80 MPH, no sign of any shakes (common issue on the 2010-11 Legacy and Outback vehicles, Subaru has several TSBs out for it by now). The car has about 1600 miles on it at present.

- It drives like a Toyota. I mean that in both the positive and negative manner. My previous 1996, current 2003, and parents' 2006 XT all feel like they are not sure if they would be best suited on the interstate or a gravel back road. They do both and everything in between quite adequately. The 2012 feels like it is designed for the city and highway as it is a very cushy ride for a wagon/crossover. I have no doubts about its' off-road performance, it is just a more plush ride than I am used to from an Outback. I can see why the RSB upgrade is a popular one.

Pros:

Big-plenty of passenger and cargo room.

Adequate power from the 2.5 and CVT, more than enough unless you need to be frequently planted in your seat to enjoy daily driving.

Comfortable and solid feeling.

Steering wheel controls are growing on me.

Cons:

Big- feels boaty coming from a 2nd gen Outback. My wife wouldn't drive it because the height feels too SUVish for her.

MPG gauge is pointless.

I still hate auto dimming mirrors.

All in one key/fobs are expensive and make carrying a spare key difficult.

Overall:

While this vehicle could not be my household's primary vehicle like Kaylee is due to the size and discomfort level my wife has with SUVs, I would consider one as my vehicle. It is bigger, bulkier, and bloated feeling compared to what I LIKE to drive but the utility, function, and MPG it provides would make it very difficult to ignore.

The new 2012 Impreza wagon, is the same size as the former 2005-2009 Outbacks.

As is the 2012 Impreza is now the size of the previous Legacy 05+

Thanks for your input too. I don't think I would ever need anything as large as the new Legacy platform, even the Impreza is becoming borderline TOO big bodysize.

Is it because the overall population is that obese?

Why can't Subaru make small cars again, small economy cars?

The outback has gotten bigger for several reasons. The competition has gotten bigger, people want bigger, and we have a lot of car... i mean stuff we like to take along with us.

They are getting way over their EPA mpg figures. Funny how you use gear kicks to mentally tell how fast your going, when i test drove the CVT i was going way way over the speed limit before i realized it.

The imp has gotten big enough where i am considering the 2012 imp to be a possible equivilant car to Blu. I test drove the OB and it was just too much car for me.

Thanks for your input too. I don't think I would ever need anything as large as the new Legacy platform, even the Impreza is becoming borderline TOO big bodysize.

Because other companies have the market cornered. Subaru would have to make a small fwd car to compete with the price point and fuel economy of vehicles like kia and hyundai. The era of the WRX pretty much killed Subaru being an entry level name, which is fine by me. I've never once heard of an Impreza post 1996 being referred to as an econobox, and I like that.

I'll admit I saw a new foz in traffic and it rivaled the size of my Montero. I didn't realize it was a Subi until I saw the badges. They're possibly a bit too big now, but like I said, Subaru isn't synonymous with economy anymore.

All the cars, regretfully, are becoming too large. The garage, however, is still the same size. Where any of our car's fits with room to spare, a friend's Sienna has to be parked with micrometer if you want to be able to close the garage door. :(

All the cars, regretfully, are becoming too large. The garage, however, is still the same size. Where any of our car's fits with room to spare, a friend's Sienna has to be parked with micrometer if you want to be able to close the garage door. :(

Garages have gone retro. Remember they stil use the same dimensions from the 50's, and we know how big those 50's and 60's cars were :)

Go to Japan if you want the compact Subarus like the Pleo and Sambar...

Other than that, Subaru wishes to remain competitive in the automotive industry, hence the changes to newer Subarus.

I don't know what's wrong with the new Impreza. They managed to actually have it lose weight while making it larger on the inside, and making it more fuel efficient.

The newer Subarus are changing along with the times, the same way the XT/Alcyone/Vortex was introduced in the 80's when manufacturers started introducing advanced technology. I'm fine with that, as the Subaru unique characteristics (Symmetrical AWD, BOXER Engine, top-notch safety) continue to evolve.

I for one wish there was a roomy 3 row seating awd subie. I have an 97 Odyssey & love it! But wish it were AWD. I understand Japan has AWD Odys.

Sadly, the Tribeca is more of a 5+2 seating arrangement :-\

If Subaru made a minivan that had Symmetrical AWD, boxer engine, and option of manual transmission (or maybe shiftable automatic), I would definitely buy it for hauling tons of cargo later on in life :headbang:

Sadly, North America probably won't get such a thing :-\

Sadly, the Tribeca is more of a 5+2 seating arrangement :-\

If Subaru made a minivan that had Symmetrical AWD, boxer engine, and option of manual transmission (or maybe shiftable automatic), I would definitely buy it for hauling tons of cargo later on in life :headbang:

:-\

That would be the BEST !!!

MPG gauge is pointless.

You'd be surprised how having that little thing flopping around all the time makes you subconsciously drive more economically.

My BMW has one and I find myself playing games as I drive. The most common one is "do everything I can do to keep it over 30." Really helps you develop a rapport with the drivetrain and gives you something to do on long trips.

It also really illustrates how really big a difference large throttle openings make when accelerating. Keeps my from that whole jackrabbit start thing lots of people do. Except when it's time for zoom. In that case, if the needle isn't pointing at "why?!?!," you're doing it wrong. :burnout:

I too, think the latest Leggie Outback has grown too big. I currently drive a 99 OBW, that possesses the Goldi-Locks syndrome........just the right size, not too big, nor too small. It is really easy to parallel park, and maneuver in traffic. Cargo area is great for the junk that I need to carry.

I went to the new car show here in Indy recently, and checked out the new Subies. I like the Impreza wagon, seems just the right size. However, in closing the driver's car door, it felt kinda light weight and flimsy, and closed making a cheap sounding " tinny clink," instead of a reassuring solid "clunk" like my Outback. I walked away thinking the doors are cheaply made, and wondered if that theme of cheapness is found elsewhere throughout the car.

Their shtick with the newer ones is lightness. I guess they shaved something like 200lbs from the old model. It's gotta come from somewhere. I had hoped they hadn't craptified it to do that.

Kind of reminds me of an old story/myth about Colin Chapman, father of Lotus. His mantra was "just add lightness." It's said that he was once working with an engineering team on a chassis. He kept pointing at structural supports saying "try taking that one out." Eventually, the thing fell apart. When it did, he said "good. Put that last one back and we're done."

Great for lightness, not so much for long term strength.

Their shtick with the newer ones is lightness. I guess they shaved something like 200lbs from the old model. It's gotta come from somewhere. I had hoped they hadn't craptified it to do that.

Kind of reminds me of an old story/myth about Colin Chapman, father of Lotus. His mantra was "just add lightness." It's said that he was once working with an engineering team on a chassis. He kept pointing at structural supports saying "try taking that one out." Eventually, the thing fell apart. When it did, he said "good. Put that last one back and we're done."

Great for lightness, not so much for long term strength.

Yea, bet you are right. Removing 200 lbs has to come from some where. Still, I am thinking making tinny doors is not the answer.

The 4th generation (2003-2009) had an aluminum hood and rear gate on the station. Perhaps more aluminum is used no that makes big difference already. I know Renault (french) has the fenders made from plastic. I got shocked once leaning against the fender which suddenly bend inwards. It bend back but felt weird.

Also insulation material got lighter or is skipped at all. Glass can be made thinner. There are loads of places little bits of weight can be saved. However, increase of electronics and very heavy airbags (at least in Europe they were not really standard till 2000). Makes it a very difficult thing.

The VW golf 5 and 6 are nearly identical (same platform and doors). However VW looked at every bit they could save weight on and how to produce it cheaper. So the golf also lost about 200 lb.

Actually they are using different kinds of steels, more aluminum and other materials. There are many places where weight is being reduced as mfg's get more comfortable with new materials. Super computers are helping a great deal by showing how structure has more to do with crash saftey then mass of the vehicle.