Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 Cylinder Head interchangeable?

Am helping a friend with his '90 Loyale ea82; we managed to put the driver's side head on the passenger side and vice a versa in the course of replacing the head gaskets. Now the tapped coolant port is on the wrong side to connect with the 90 degree tube from the intake manifold.

Any problem in cutting the angled tube and running a hose to the port that is now on the front of the driver's side? (Don't want to drill and tap the head on the passenger side and don't want to redo the head gaskets - engine in car.)

Dude, I for got that piece when I did my head gasket job too! (Even though I managed to get my heads on the right side.) I thought of doing the same thing, but it was too short of a distance. I really don't understand the function of the tube enough to give advise, but it seems reasonable. I would just be sure to use some sort of PCV hose that wont melt at high temps and wont collapse under any sort of vacuum.

I have seen an engine with backwards heads, and a copper tube run across for the egr. it will work. the heads are cast the same with the exception of the egr port being tapped on the one. You can tap an egr port on the other head if you have the machining tools.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't paying attention when reassembling the engine and got the heads reversed. Not wanting to redo it, I made a plug piece on the lathe to block the EGR hole, using the existing flare nut. I just ran the car with heads reversed and no EGR and there was no apparent problem. Got 30+ mpg on hiway.

cnc

• 2 weeks later...
How could it possibly work with the head on the wrong side? wouldn't it be upside down...?

No, it is right-side up; the only difference besides the port problem, is that the exhaust manifold studs have to be moved.

So is the EGR pipe up front on the drivers side?Or is it down below drivers side?What about the cams? they sit pulleys forward but backward in the heads?

I think he's confused about the same thing that I'm confused about. If you take a head for the right side of the engine, and put it on the left side of the engine. Obviously you need to keep it right side up. Intake on top, exhaust on bottom.

Now to do that, the cam sprocket would be on the wrong end.

• 11 months later...
Wow, I'd most definitely re-do the heads - even if they fit 'the wrong way'. I didn't realise that the cam carriers could be fitted either way around but surely re-doing the heads is not expensive or particularly time consuming?
have to buy new gaskets, so costs about $50 and time. to each his own on what that's worth to an individual and time could depend how far you went...if cam carriers were installed and motor installed, if it was pulled to begin with, etc.

Goodness! What a strong reaction! clearly it's never ideal but over the years I've had to make do when times were hard (in reference to not doing what one can't afford to do) and have re-used with success - putting 70,000 miles on one of my L-series (on top of 130,000) before it succomed to excess crank-case compression. But I was not recommending it, just saying it's not at all impractical if you have to do it. In the case of this thread, the OP was happy to leave them be - so clearly I was just chatting... I've also made my own head gasket for an alluminium Imp engine (similar to Coventry Climax) but that only lasted about 20,000 miles; not bad for virtually no money.

• 1 year later...

So what if you plan to not use the EGR or any emissions crap at all can someone just plug that hole and be done??

Yes

Its better for your engine to run without an egr anyway. I usually take the threaded end off the metal tube and weld a bolt in the center hole, then throw it back in. The last motor I did I didn't have a welder nearby so I cut the tube, but I left a piece of the tube with the flared fitting. Then I dropped a screw upside down in the egr hole and put the threaded end/pipe piece back in the egr hole, worked great.

Josh

Wow, I'd most definitely re-do the heads - even if they fit 'the wrong way'. I didn't realise that the cam carriers could be fitted either way around but surely re-doing the heads is not expensive or particularly time consuming?

as long as you have not started the motor you can ree use the head gaskets 

OK. Now it makes sense... A lot more sense.

Had I realized it wasn't like an EJ head I wouldn't be confused there.

EJ22 heads can be swapped side ot side also......you just have to swap the cams to the correct side and swap the end cap and Cam Retainer.

EJ25 heads are not reversible.