Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need a comparison please

exercion

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I am wondering about how the newer Outbacks do offroad? I have an elderly GL wagon which has the high/low range and a 5 speed, and it does very well crawling around the backcountry. I'd love to get a newer car, but am curious how the AWD models compare to the 4wds, also do they "crawl" well? Here in NV the trails can be tight and rocky, as well as steep, so being able to control one's speed through gearing helps. I know they have more power (what doesn't LOL) but is it available down in the lower RPMs?

Eric

Not sure what you consider "new", but my 98 Outback does ok off road. Wish like all that it had a Low Range for the technical and or steep stuff but $$$ won't allow it yet, and I will NOT give up my 3rd pedal for the crawlability. Ground clearance is an issue, but a lift alleviates that issue. They are wider and cannot turn that tight so........ Would I give it up for something older, no as I like the comfort and space but, then again I do have older for the more "fun" runs. If you're going to be playing on back roads and mild stuff the AWD is fine but the light weight and Low Range make all the difference in the good stuff.

If you don't mind 2 pedals I'd say keep the older and grab a newer for fun and go from there, I have NOT tried an autocrapic but hear there are many things to do to them to make them great wheelers and they can crawl from what I've gathered. They are a lot bigger though so beware of that and they do have horrid overhangs (I still hit in some places in the back)

The topic has been discussed and debated a lot. If you do a search in the forums you should see a lot of these opinions. The general consensus seems to be that the newer subarus are best for on road driving through rain/snow etc. with the AWD advantage. The old 4x4s are best for real off road conditions. That being said, there are plenty of modifications available for the newer generations to make them very trail worthy. I am in the process of lifting my Impreza for such reasons. There are some very formidable rigs out there that are of the newer generation. But for cheap and reliable wheeling - I'd go with the old 4x4s any day - Cheaper, simpler, easier to lift, dual range 4WD - they are tough to beat. Getting harder to find though.

Everyone says the new ones you need the automatic to crawl hills, the torque converter acts similar to low range at low rpm climbs.

I had a 4eat turbo, and it would crawl, the 5spd, not even close to the same.

Your newer era engine is much better at being power producing responsive, so it can compensate some, but nothing like the old D/R with hi and lo.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I guess I'll stick with what I have. It's interesting hearing about the newer cars, but since I will not own an auto transmission again, it sounds like for what I need to do, my elderly 88 wagon is it.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...