Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drill Bits?

Crazyeights

Really depends on what you are drilling.

For mild and hardened steel I have found Champion Carbide to be heads and shoulders above anything I have available here in town.

Luckily we stock them at my work. So I get a screaming deal.

Ive got a complete set of XGO BlackGold bits by Champion, have had them for 3-4 years now, abuse the hell out of them, and have yet to break one, or overheat/ruin one. They really are outstanding bits. :headbang:

Thanks - that is exactly what I was looking for. I drill everything from aluminum, to mild steel, rusted heat baked and broken exhaust parts, ect.

I realize I will probably need several types for different jobs, and Champion and Bosch are some good recommendations I can start with. I have also had good luck with a few Hitachi singles I have picked up at a local hardware place in a jam.

My friend (30 years in the military) can pick up any drill bit broken or not off of the floor and a quick pass on a bench grinder and it will cut through anything:clap: I haven't even got the drill doctor down yet:rolleyes:

Edited by Crazyeights

yeah; awesome.

Same, my dad can take broken bits and make them drill better than new with his bench grinder. He was a mechanic professionally for 41 years at the same GM garage though. He can take pretty much any bit and make it sharp. He gave me a drill doctor, cause it was never beneficial to him, they don't sharpen as well as his self ability with a grinding wheel, eye/hand/feel.\

It is really only the very tip end blades that do the cutting, and once you get that down to how, no biggy, I wish i would learn someday. Maybe i will ask him for a session of doing some of my old bits that i tend to ruin. He also gave me a bench grinder on a stand. I used the drill doctor once, but it is a pain to figure out, i would rather know how to use the grinder wheel.

Edited by bheinen74

I use hss drill bits daily on alum, steel and stainless ( if the stainless is 1/8th or less ) and countersinks as well. Something like rapid tap or stick wax is important for keeping the bits cool and sharp. I prefer to buy from an outfit like fastenal vs big box retailers.

BOSCH. best i have used..made in Germany.

And, a drill bit sharpener....

Bosch bits are not made in germany.

Most are made in China. Some are made in the USA.

Hey, the Chinese ones are without a doubt made with STEEL that CAME from the USA :popcorn: