Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front wheel bearing install questions

Hi all, I've been checking in on this board for a while. I decided to join because, like myself, there seems to be a lot of members that are just trying to keep their (or in my case the wife's) trusty Subie going.

I'm in the middle of replacing the front wheel bearings and have 2 questions. They both concern the outer bearing.

Could somebody verify that the outer bearing fits flush up against the boss? When I took them apart, on the one drive spline it was flush, on the other the bearing was out almost an 1/8 of an inch.

Second question, when you reinstall the outer bearing on the drive spline I see no way other than to put pressure on the complete bearing (not just the inner race.) Would that be right? It seems to me that you can't pre-install the bearing on the spline because the seal needs to be set in the hub first. The only alternative I can see would be to place the seal on the drive spline, install the bearing then try to seat the seal in the hub (working behind the exciter ring, etc.) Not an easy chore I think.

Thanks for any and all help.

I haven't had to do this replacement yet, so I'm not exactly sure what you are encountering, but you're not getting a lot of other responses from the board so I'll try.

I assume that you removed the axle from the hub and then the housing from the vehicle and are usind a press or that you removed the axle and are doing this on the car with a Hub Tamer or other tool made to do this.

I can say this:

Apply pressure only to the outer race when installing the bearing. You need to apply pressure only to the inner race when you are installing the hub. If you have the tools, you can do it.

When I did my rears, the bearing went into the housing against the snap ring and then the hub went in a specified amount. Any difference in the depth the hub is installed will affect how much of the axle sticks out. If I'm reading correctly, I think that was part of your question. This distance will affect the distance of your tone ring to the ABS wheel sensor too.

Try a search on bearings and also read the Subaru End Wrench information on replacing the rears. You'll find the link when you search. Like I said, I haven't done this, but the procedures may be similiar.