Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strut top bar on EA series?

subynut

Those of you that like to turn corners fast in your EA82s, have any of you put a strut bar on the front and what year range of impreza did you go with?

I've been searching around on here, Nasioc, RS25, and Subaruxt, but I cannot get any actual info as to which ones fit. Not to mention some say "do it" and others say "not worth it" which really confuses me. The front of the PandaWagon could use a little tightening with all my antics on the street and the increased RallyX/AutoX it's been seeing lately. Ideas?

Thanks,

Ted

Those of you that like to turn corners fast in your EA82s, have any of you put a strut bar on the front and what year range of impreza did you go with?

I've been searching around on here, Nasioc, RS25, and Subaruxt, but I cannot get any actual info as to which ones fit. Not to mention some say "do it" and others say "not worth it" which really confuses me. The front of the PandaWagon could use a little tightening with all my antics on the street and the increased RallyX/AutoX it's been seeing lately. Ideas?

Thanks,

Ted

I haven't done this but if I did I'd triangulate the bar into the firewall as I know that would really stiffen things up. Just my .02, hey, let us know what you come up with and what you decide.

Doug

I started looking into it. The strut top bolt orientation is slightly different. And the track width is narrower.

You'll have to cut off the old spare tire support brackets that stick up. Redrill the plates on the strut tower, and cut down the brace. Keep these modifications in mind as you start looking at the different designs.

I also heard that one for an RX7 (FC? I think?) would work with less modification. But I never looked into it.

Also, look into fender braces. A tower brace is a help, but it is key to tie them into the core of the unibody.

• 7 months later...

I haven't noticed so much of a problem in the front; there's a fair amount of steel between the struts where the spare tire mount is. However the factory rally prep manual for the RX shows strut bar B0110GA054, so I'm sure it will only improve things.

In the rear of my wagon however, the body twists so much that my rear gate rubs the body by the tail lights and it keeps rubbing the paint off. I think some kind of triangulated brace between the rear struts would be beneficial.