Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car won't shut off

Done quite a few searches using different phrases, but haven't really found any definitive answers. My car (1983 ea81 carb) won't shut off when I turn the key off, I've checked the timing on the distributor (to make sure it isn't advanced to far) and it's spot on.

Only way to shut the car off is to plug the air intake.

Am I looking at replacing the ignition column or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

If it's a carb, it could be dieseling. Does it do it when it's cold as well? There should be a valve to prevent that (I think it's a valve), but it could be malfunctioning.

It could also be that you ignition coil is getting power when it shouldn't be. Does anything else stay on (headlights, for example) after you turn off the key?

You may want to pull one wire off, and see if it continues to get spark with the key off.

Is it a standard transmission/can you stall it in the meanwhile?

My guess is with the switch going out OR something coming loose somewhere such as a wire causing an arc between two otherwise separate wires that effectively bypasses the ignition switch. Since the switch still turns the car ON I'm guessing it's not entirely failed, though it may be on the way.

If it's a carb, it could be dieseling. Does it do it when it's cold as well? There should be a valve to prevent that (I think it's a valve), but it could be malfunctioning.

It could also be that you ignition coil is getting power when it shouldn't be. Does anything else stay on (headlights, for example) after you turn off the key?

You may want to pull one wire off, and see if it continues to get spark with the key off.

Its an anti-dieseling solenoid, not worth it, just have the car in gear and let the clutch up when you shut the car off (the slower you hit the release point, the less it lurches)

It was mentioned on here for an EA82 I believe that it wouldnt shut off... lemme search

no, everything else turns off, fans, lights, wipers, etc. I'll check the coil tomorrow.

Appreciate all the input!

Is it a standard transmission/can you stall it in the meanwhile?

My guess is with the switch going out OR something coming loose somewhere such as a wire causing an arc between two otherwise separate wires that effectively bypasses the ignition switch. Since the switch still turns the car ON I'm guessing it's not entirely failed, though it may be on the way.

Yes, I can stall it out, and I can also turn the key into the on position and bump start it. Just can't turn it off normally.