Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New lifted Hatch pics (Oz)

SuBaRiNo

I thought it was about time i posted the pictures of my hatch now that it is all lifted. It is an 1983 Hatch with a 3 inch lift kit and 27 inch tyres.

It would have to be the only lifted hatch that i am aware of in Australia. And is the only Hatch registerd in Western Australia. I am only aware of maybe 5 other hatches in the whole of Oz.

I certainly get alot of interest from people wondering how I shortend a wagon not knowing it's an imported model.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://community.webshots.com/album/121005339qHcfki

Dave

Thanks for the feed back guys. I will answer the couple of questions asked about it.

soobme: It is an aluminium bull bar. It does look like steel and for a long time i thought it was.... but it's not.

Mike W: The bull bar doesn't weigh as much as it looks... maybe 20 kg or something possibly less.

CamoMan: The rims are 14 inch by 6.5 inch i think. They are called Desert Rat rims and available in Australia.They are designed to fit on the older Subarus. They are a great rim and only cost about $90au per rim.

The sedan in the pictures is a mates car that i built up with him... was a 2wd only about 6 inches off the ground... looks a whole lot different these days and it's now 4wd. He has the same tyres, rims and lift kit size (3inch) as the hatch... although he does wind up his suspension just to be taller than me.

The blue colour is a Purl Blue... it tends to change colour from a blue to a purple sort of colour in different light. Everyone loves it. Im scared to scratching it now though.

Future plans are to put in an ej22 and an ea82 L-series gear box. I have already got the ej22 and im in the middle of planning and prepareing for the conversion. If anyone on the board has completed an ej22 conversion without using the entire ej22 wiring harness off the donour car, i would really like to talk to you about what i can and can't remove on the wiring harness from the ECU.

Thanks guys

Dave

The bottom paint is a black non-gloss paint. It is just spray can paint so that i can touch it up really easily if it gets scratched. It is a rust protectant paint usually used to prime metal surfaces.

I have already had a rock flick up and scratch that bottom part of the car rather sevearly but because of my paint choice it wasn't a problem to repair. I highly recomend painting the bottom part this way.

Only other things i have done to it is a weber 32\36 carby. Everything else has been left for now. As to how the car got here.. i would have no idea... someone had a lot of spare money i guess.

Dave

• 4 months later...

The hatch has gone through a few changes since i was on here last... including the completeing on the ej22 conversion with the use of an L-series gear box adapted to it.... Took it for a run on the beach today and i could not be happier with the performance.... found myself racing along the beach a lot faster than the ea81 could ever push my car and i still had a lot more power behind me.

Some information about them shocks can be found at the following address..

http://www.ausubaru.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=archive;action=display;num=1083012709

That site also shows the part number for the shock that fits on the rear with the use of a top mount that has to be fabricated.

Dave

• 1 year later...
i want to put a lift on my 91 wagon what would perform the best

Welcome,

What kind of wagon do you have? legacy or Loyale?

As far as lifts, there are two places to look, the "Search" button, top right, or the FAQ OFFROAD thread at the top of the page. Everything you need to know is in there.

Try looking on the first page of forums for the most up to date information, as threads that had their last post in August are not very current.