Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grottos 1st Subaru: 92 Loyale 4WD Wagon

Hi all, I’m new to USMB and thought I’d post up a couple pictures and start a thread about this 92 Loyale I picked up a few weeks ago.

The car is nothing special, basically just a beater, but it’s my first Subaru. I know that EA82 cars are considered by many to be the low point in Subaru engineering, but I was more interested in just getting a decent test mule that I could do some wrenching on and learn a bit about these cars. I hope to have it sorted out enough for my daughter to drive this summer while home from school. After that, who knows? If it performs well and grows on me I may keep it, but then, I’m already eyeballing the early 80’s wagons and early Impreza wagons too.

Here she is:

P1012308.jpg

P1012311.jpg

P1012315.jpg

P1012313.jpg

It's a selectable 4WD, 5-speed car with 185K miles. As you can see it has a nice straight rust free body (except the hood has few wrinkles in it), the engine runs nice, quiet and smooth with no smoke or engine noises, the drive train feels nice and tight, the car tracks straight, the suspension feels good and the struts look good too, no exhaust leaks, CV axles all look good, newer tires. According to the seller the head gasket was replaced a couple years ago, couldn’t tell me if both were done but the coolant is nice and clean as well as the engine oil. It has new front brake pads and rotors, you can see that the right front CV axle is newer and it has a new O2 sensor, so there is at least evidence that some level of maintenance was performed. Picked it up locally for $1200, which I thought was a fair price.

Of course the car needs a few things. The interior is very dirty and many of the plastic panels are a bit beat up. It looks like the car spent some time on a dusty ranch and was used for hauling hay and gear. However, the seats are in decent shape, no rips or tears, and everything is pretty much intact. Since I don’t like feeling like I need a hepatitis shot after every drive, the first thing the car will be getting is a good disinfecting and cleaning. The seat belt light in the dash stays lit up all the time, the right rear power window struggles, the clock lights up intermittently, the speakers are blown and there are a few other gremlins I’m forgetting right now that will reveal themselves soon enough.

While inspecting the car before purchasing I noticed small pool of fresh oil on the rock guard under the drivers side of the engine. From what I’d learned about the EA82’s I was not surprised, nor was I put off by some oil leakage. After all, I’ve owned air cooled boxers and they all dripped oil. It doesn’t just drip though, it puddles, so the leaks will need to be located and fixed, which is probably the real reason the car was being sold. Looks like I may be pulling the engine and doing a re-seal.

This is where you all come in, as I’ll need all the help I can get. It’s been awhile since I’ve taken on something like this. Looking forward to the project.

Very clean Loyale! Welcome to USMB.

As for typical EA82 oil leaking, here is a run down on seals that should be replaced:

Cam Carrier Seal (Right behind the Cam pulleys)

Crack Seal

Valve Cover Seals/Grommets

Oil Pump Seal and O-ring (Seal looks like Mickey Mouse head)

Possible Cam Tower O-rings

Oil Pan needs to be resealed with Fujibond (aka RTV Black)

Rear main seal (Possible)

Intake gaskets could also use replacing most times

Sounds like a lot, but is worth it :) No matter what, a Subaru will always leak oil lol. If its not leaking oil, you are probably out.

Cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for the welcome Tom. That list helps a lot and doesn't seem long at all to me, especially with the engine removed. I've been searching to learn what seals and gaskets I should replace, which are the best ones to use and where to source them. It's been a little challenging as there are bits of good information scattered all over the place.

Hoping to finish detailing the interior this weekend and pull the engine next.

I usually buy Fel-Pro gaskets and seals, as a lot of times they are genuine seals. Head gaskets for one, are stamped with the Fuji logo so I've found.

NAPA should be able to order you a seal kit (Top end and Bottom end) I think Rockauto.com has them as well.

Cheers.

The seat belt light on my Loyale came on about two months after I bought it, and hasn't turned off since (over three years). As to wrenching, I've gone from being able to point out parts on the motor to being able to repair or replace 99% of stuff. I've also learned a lot (understatement) about where seals/gaskets are located on a motor, what they do, and how to replace them. Timing belts, manifolds...on and on. It's a good car to learn on, not only because it's easy to access and work on, but because the EA82 will always give you things to pay attention to!

Most problems won't stop the car from driving, and if you do everything well the first time around you can significantly reduce the chances of a catastrophic failure further down the road.

Nice Wagon...

There's a wiring connector under the driver seat. You could try un-plugging/re-connecting it to clear the seatbelt light. Could be just a dirty/corroded connection.

Other causes are possible, but that's an easy "try".

Issue with powerwindows could be lack of lubricant in the tracts. Diligent applicantion of some White Lithium spray may help there.

Issue with powerwindows could be lack of lubricant in the tracts. Diligent applicantion of some White Lithium spray may help there.

Yep, Every EA82 I've ever been in had slow power windows (So does my Landcruiser) its most likely like Tom said, lack of grease in the track will slow them down, also, the window switches them selfs are sometimes an issue, they are a rocker style with little metal tabs on the inside, they tend to get corroded and don't make good contact. Also, it could be the motors, they need grease and cleaning.

I still need to get to that issue on my wagon, easy though :)

-Tom