Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Crazyman is back!

Hello Everyone!

Guess who has 2 thumbs and has another Subaru? THIS GUY! A '95 Impreza LX

Its been a while since I have posted on here, though I have been snooping around.

I posted a while back about a friend's car who had her back window busted out by some random a-hole. Well, she couldnt find a replacement and, along side an "exhaust" leak she was getting sick of the car. So in flies me and I scoop up this car for 400 bucks!

It runs pretty decently.. after brief examination, the "exhaust leak" seems to just be that the exhaust manifold isnt attached on the driver side of the block so, it bellows and makes a lot of noise.. i figure, if i bolt it back up, it should run pretty decent for a 400$ car! :grin:

As for the back window, I still need to measure it out, but i'm thinking at worst, pick up a piece of plexi glass from Home-Depot and Sili-glue it on the back.

Anyway, enough talking, here's some pictures.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

-Justin

Edited by crazyman03

Well, I think I lucked out! the studs for the exhaust were non-existant on the side that was not attached.

I have a set of gaskets to pick up tomorrow.. 'bout 10 bucks, and i'm going to install them. Now if only I had funds to get the plates and a back window! I've been looking around some pull yards 'round town and nada :-/

Anyway, thats the update!

-Justin

• 1 month later...

Well, I gave him a call.. I guess its going to be an interesting piece to find.

I tried looking at the JY by my work and havent found much as far as a hatchback goes. eeh, might just have the shower curtain for a while.

On that note though, I'm having a delema. So, I had a CEL about fuel trim and replaced the MAP sensor (pocket part) from the JY. no codes and great ride for a week until today.

I've been having a bit of an issue on my fuel gauge where it would dip low while i'm stopped. someone told me to take the cluster off and tighten the 3 screws for the gauge and it should work again. I tried - now it says I have a full tank, (I've already driven 150 miles, shouldnt be that much more in fuel)

well, along side that, I went to get some food, now my CEL is back (dont know the code yet) and my "AT Temp" light flashed a bit.

Ideas? wtheck did i do?

-Justin

I saw a hatch today at UPAP Denver. It was a bright red Impreza Wagon. I talked to David: He said he could swap the glass from the one to the other if you want the color to match on the liftgate.

Which specific code numbers are you getting?

I got a P0500-speed sensor. Which apparently looks like a "i don't know what the heck is wrong with me" code, with all the suggested fixes they listed (@checkers)

One "fix" was to look at the speedo cable. I had managed to screw up the cable when i was putting the cluster back in the dash. the little nub that goes inside the back of the speedo is gone. I thought maybe it was crimped and got pulled back inside the cable shielding?

My fuel gauge is broke. I think when i attempted to tighten the screws on the back of the cluster, the "-" didn't want to tighten, and the coil wire likely broke off the back of the nut inside the housing. I took it apart and looked at it and saw it broken... I tried soldering it back in.. still no dice.

With the fuel gauge out, i was still going to be able to drive and just note my milage.. cant now with no speedo :banghead: . I'll look at it when i get back from my dr appt today.

-Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i went up there that tuesday and pulled that fuel gauge. I'm still having the problem with the needle dropping occasionally - Not a biggie, i can deal with it. I'll probably clean the sending unit or something.

How long do the cars stick around up there shawn? I was a bit intimidated to remove that glass, I didnt want to break it. I could likiley put it in, no problem.

Are you any good at removing that glass? Maybe you could give me a hand one day, or I could pay you to do it :brow:

-Justin

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping to get a new rear window this week and ended up spending for the two bushings for the differential.

I was tearing out some of the broken glass stripping on the tail gate today - I'm NOT touching that glass on the car thats at the wrecking yard. it will surely break! I did notice that my spoiler is mounted TO the glass?? I kept the mounts and can try and get some of the tar/glass off of them. maybe i can mount them to the new tailgate??

-Justin

• 1 month later...

look what i found!

548415_10152215323015727_53345301_n.jpg

They let me have the entire hatch for 85$ - still loaded.

Upull&pay wanted 80 for a stripped-down gate with just the glass so that was nice. took 20 min to take off, another 20 to put back on and switch the locks :brow:

Its off a '98, and it has an lock actuator on it so I'm going to hook that up too! ;-)

-Justin