Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 EA82 GL starting issues

My EA82 will catch on the very first crank when I turn the key but then die instantly, then I have to keep it cranking over until it will lightly start to catch after about 30 seconds and then it will idle for around 2 seconds then just die again.

Now when I actually do get it to idle, when i step on the gas pedal too much it will just stall out gasp and die. And this is when i just push it in 1/4 of the way. If i floor it from idle it has no hope at all. So basically I have to very lightly touch the gas pedal to get it to rev enough to where i can actually hit the gas.

Now when I pour gas straight into the carb barrel it will catch and start way sooner.

I have tried messing with the idle jets, as well as all the others. and nothing seems to be helping?

Could my distributor be too advanced? or too retard?

Or could my battery just be shot?

Edited by Moosen

You don't have a battery problem but it does seem like you have a fuel delivery problem. You might try replacing the fuel filter to see if that helps. If that doesn't help solve the trouble then I suggest you check the fuel pressure to see what that is doing. You may need to replace the fuel pump.