Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air suspension blues:(

My compressor to my suspension is toast. I'm wanting to convert over to springs. I think I'm going with 2wd doner cars at junk yard. Which car would b most common to find in a yard and compatible? Also if you could, give me a part list of what I need to get?

Thx guys!!

Answering your P.M:

Hey. Will your improved suspension setup work for my 86 xt gl10? Honda and tempo coils? Man of so I can just go to yard get those easy

My Writeup about Suspension improvements (it is, ~► Here) Was mainly intended to Reinforce the Coil Springs & Shock Absorbers on a Standard Suspension Subie, so I Don't know how Hard or Easy could be to install those Parts on a Subie equiped with Air Suspension.

My Idea was to Improve the Stock Subaru GL / DL \ Loyale Suspension with the Purpose to be used in Rough conditions, like Off-Roading, or to handle better the Loads...

That Swap Lifts the Suspension a bit in the Front and More in the Rear, which adds Stress to the Axles, Specially the Rear ones; which means that the Axles will work in certain Angle and that leads to wear them faster.

The 2WD Subies (the one without Rear Diff & Axles) won't suffer from that Stress in the Rear and the Front lift is Minimum.

Also the Feeling comparing a Stock Suspension Subaru Vs. the Swapped one with the Parts listed on the above linked Writeup, is the same like Comparing a Stock family sedan Vs the Police Version of the Same Model: Harder & Firmer Suspension but Better Handling.

I Really cannot be sure how that Swap will Work on an Air Suspension Subie.

Kind Regards.

Well... I Didn't mean it won't Work.

The Swap Could Work and if the Mounting points on the Body of the Subaru models with Air Suspension are the Same and in the same placement as the Standard suspension models, it could be Easy to do.

I've never worked on a Subaru with Air Suspension, there are Few of them here.

Kind Regards.

Np man. Once I get my car running good I'm moving on to my ideo. Add more gauges and make this think like the delorian. Back to future car!! Add more and more gauges lights. Btw, need ideas for the perfect flight simulator stick for my shifter. Buttons ftw!!! My car shall be called the ......delorianxt:))

• 2 months later...

Man.. I think i need a right rear shock (it's a shock right not a strut?)

I wanted some rear air shocks since I have 2 WD and I want to add a hitch

just for some minimal towing (4x8 with 500 pounds on it)

So I was looking for some air shocks but couldnt' find any new. I had some

on my old malibu and loved em.

Anyone know if i can put rear air shocks on my 2wd 88 GL wagon? and hopefully a part number?

Edited by Danny88GL

I wanted some rear air shocks since I have 2 WD and I want to add a hitch

just for some minimal towing (4x8 with 500 pounds on it)

the air struts may not be that helpful. the rear air struts collapse and don't hold much weight. i was kind of surprised in cases where i've loaded them up.

i had a FWD EJ auto transmission and an EJ18 engine (4 cylinder) in the trunk with no passengers and the air suspension could not hold that weight up.

i had one XT6 with air suspension but i converted the rear to springs and it held a *massive* 6x12 trailer with probably 1,500 or more pounds of gear and 3 people 4,000 miles to colorado and back - i posted pictures of it here. the rear springs held that fine.

if yours is weak i would suspect new struts and/or springs may be the ticket. yours may even be 25 years old by now?

you may even be able to get some stiffer springs? i just bought springs for my Outback wagon and they weren't expensive. $60 or $120 or something like that, not as bad as i thought they'd be from Subaru. could certainly get them cheaper off ebay or rockauto.

Anyone know if i can put rear air shocks on my 2wd 88 GL wagon? and hopefully a part number?
yes, any EA82....or even XT6...rear air struts will bolt right into your wagon. you'll then need to fabricate some lines or something to be able to air them up. Edited by grossgary