Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holy Cow! ... Three in a DAY! ... (Burnt Ignition Module)

Remember the Thread: "Holy Cow! ... Three in a Month! ... (invisibility Paint?)" (Link, ~► Here) where I Described three Weird incidents that Happened to me & my Subie in a Month?

Well, we have Stablished a New Record: Three in a Day!... :eek: ...Let me Explain a Long Story Short:

I Had a Severe Gout Foot attack again (More info, ~► Here) that lasted a Month, I was somehow forced to Drive my Wife's Car (Details, ~► Here) because it is Automatic; so my BumbleBeast was resting, unused for that Long inside my closed Garage.

Then, the Last Weekend I Felt Much Better and we decided to go in a Travel to Angels' Valley City, which is an Age Old Turistic City, full of Artisans with great craftmanship; (Lots of Pics, ~► Here) the Idea was to have a Nice Weekend Trip and also I Wanted to purchase a Great Honduran Souvenir for a USMB Friend in USA.

So, I Loaded my BumbleBeast with all the "Needed" stuff for a family Weekend travel... it Looked like This:

HPIM1668.jpg

...then I Started the Weberized engine and took my Wife and my Baby Daughter for the Travel... everything went Fine, but after 45 Minutes, suddenly the Engine Shut off without warning, it felt like if a Timin' Belt had snapped, the tachometer went to Zero readings inmediately... :( ...

I was Able to use the Vehicle's inertia impulse to pull out to a Side of the Road and then, I Carefully inspected everything on the Engine's Bay...

Everything was Fine.

I Thought it was a Fuel Pump Failure but it Wasn't.

I Tried to Start the Engine without results, it Cranked but didn't came alive, Since the Tachometer stayed Dead at Zero readings even while I Tried to Start the Engine, I Suspected that the Ignition Module died.

So I hasn't another Choice but to use my cellphone to Call to the Insurance Company and ask them for a Tow Truck, it came an hour after I Called:

OnTruckBed12.jpg

That was the First Thing that Happened that Day...

The Tow Truck Driver was very Kind and accepted to leave my Wife & Baby Daughter in Home, Prior to send my Subie to a Repair Shop: The Insurance Company Rules, requires a repair bill.

So, after taking my Subie to a Friend's Repair Shop, I Asked him to leave me in a Gas Station Nearby, because I Wanted to use the ATM to take some Cash and buy Something to Eat.

I Slide my Debit Card on the ATM and asked Lps. 3,000.ºº (Lempiras is our Currency, Equals to ~ $ 150.ºº US Dollars) because I Needed Money to pay many things which includes a Taxi to go back Home and Gasoline for my Wife's car to search for the Needed Parts plus the Parts Price, etc...

The ATM Sounded as Counting money Three times and it took a Whole Minute; after that, it gave me my Receipt: but NO MONEY AT ALL!

... :eek: ...

and I Confirmed that it Reduced the requested amount from my account !!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

That was the Second thing that Happened that Day...

I Used my cellphone again to call to the ATM's emergency Number, but the Operator told me that they can not help me because the Card I Slid wasn't from their Bank, so I Must go to my Bank's office to reclaim my Money.

I Went walking (Very Hungry & Thirsty) to the Nearest Bank office around: a couple Miles away... and after another Hour of Waiting, my Reclaim was in Process and they said it must take "...Six to Ten Days to Resolve..." :banghead:

While I Was on the Bank, I took some money from my account to Go Home...

I Went again to my Friend's Repair Shop and We Confirmed that the Ignition Module was Dead.

Then I Went Home Very Tired, Hungry and Thirsty... I Ate my Lunch and took my Wife's Car to Hunt for that Ignition Module.

Very Few Parts Stores has Subaru Parts, they became Scarse since the Local Subaru Dealer is Fading Away, as I Explained, ~► Here.

I Went to the Local NAPA Store.

My BumbleBeast has the NIPPON DENSO Distribuitor, so I Searched in their Computer for the Ignition Module for that Nippon Denso Disty, on the 1985 / 86 EA82's.

And They're CRAZY! ... :eek: ... People at NAPA Asked Lps. 12,984.ºº (Lempiras, our Currency. Equals to ~ $ 650.ºº US Dollars) along to Wait for a Week for the Part because they Don't have it Locally. :(

Their Price for a Complete (Rebuilt by them) Nippon Denso Distribuitor which includes the Rotor and the Famous ignition module, was Lps. 11,854.ºº (Lempiras, our Currency. Equals to ~ $ 592.ºº US Dollars) Again: along to Wait for a Week for the Part because they Don't have it Locally. :mad:

So I Went to do a Hunt for that Part to the Local Junk Yards. (Called here: "Yonkers" ... Many Pictures, ~► Here)

I Went to Six Local Yonkers without Finding any Subaru Part on Them...

Finally, I Went Downtown and Surprisingly, they had Three EA82 Engines, all carbureted.

One of their Distribuitors was damaged already and someone tried to Swap the Ignition Module from the Suzuki Sidekick (a.k.a: Geo / Chevrolet Tracker) which has an Identical Nippon Denso Ignition Module BUT its Wires comes from the Wrong (Other) Side. I Already knew that and Avoided to buy that one.

The Second Disty I Saw was Hitachi... so it was Useless for me.

The Third one was the Right one, it has the Right ignition Module but Someone cutted its Wires from the Root... So I Must use my Soldering Gun to put New Wires on it.

It has missing its Cap and the Rotor was Black, maybe an Aftermarket part.

I Purchased the Whole Disty, Because they didn't wanted to sell me the Ignition Module only... but While I Went to Pay that to the Junk Yard's cashier, I Heard a Loud CRASH! ... :eek: ... the Junkyard's employee who was Showing me the Disty, Dropped it to the Concrete Floor and the Rotor plus the Ignition Module's Covers broke in many pieces...

I Couldn't Believe That! :dead:

Holy crap! That's a pretty nasty bunch of situations. Although when I first read the title of this thread, I thought you'd burned through three ignition modules in one day.

Not exactly sure what parts availability is like in your country. Seems completely insane that the dealer and parts stores want over $600 USD for such a part. According to my local parts store website, they want about $110 USD for it. Maybe eBay is your best bet.

If this is what you need, it's only about $40 + some international shipping.

• Like 1

Yes, Bad Things Happens in Three... I Hope Everything will be Fine Right Now. :D

...Not exactly sure what parts availability is like in your country...

You can Find Easily almost ANY Part you might Want for every other ELSE Brand, Except Subaru... :(...

... Seems completely insane that the dealer and parts stores want over $600 USD for such a part...

I Agree, Absolutely.

... If this is what you need, it's only about $40 + some international shipping.

Nope, that is Not the Part for the Nippon Denso Distribuitor.

Holy Crap Jeszek! How did you find my string of bad luck all the way down there?!? Glad you at least were able to get everyone home. Having that "Roadside Assistance" is a life saver in some situations. I have it on my wife's car mainly because if I'm stuck on the side of the road I can deal with it - If my wife was... yea she'd freak out. Come to think of it, I should add it to my Impreza.. Handy little feature to have on the insurance.

Hope your luck gets better!

-Justin

• Like 1

Thank you, Justin.

The ignition module on the link posted, is very different, I guess it belongs to the Hitachi distributor, because it is a Single piece Module, but to my knowledge, the Hitachi one looks like a star...

The module on the Nippon Denso Distribuitor is a two pieces Part, it has Two Wires Between them and Two Wires Goin' Out from them on the Distribuitor, to the Ignition Coil.

► The Nippon Denso Part Number is: 1313000500

► The Subaru Part Number is: 22183 AA040

Aftermarket part Number for the Same thing are:

Transpo (Brand): NM 500

Mobiletron (Brand): IGT 010

GoodWay (Brand): GW-M500

This is How it Looks:

(a Web Image, not My Part)

IgnitionModule.jpg

Its two parts goes Hiding inside the Two Black Covers, seen Here:

(My Subie's Distribuitor)

HPIM2851.jpg

Kind Regards.

Jeez, I can't find that anywhere...

I Found 'em on e-Bay, but... they show there a Single Piece Module!

Look Here: ~► http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=22183+AA040

Seems like the Single Piece Module is the Module itself only, without the Pick up assy, and it Belongs to the SPFI Models.

EDIT: The Single piece Module seems to have terminals to attach the pick up assy to it, according to the Pictures... So:

Question: ► Could the Single Piece Module Work Fine in my Subie's Disty? ... (if I Attach the Pick up assy to it of Course).

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Beck Arnley is a good brand, but however it is Aftermarket... Not the Real Nippon Denso Part.

The Original Nippon Denso Ignition Module on my Subie Lasted for 300,000 Miles in 27 complete Years... I Don't Believe that Beck Arnley could achieve such level of Reliability.

But if I Don't have another option soon, I'll Buy the Beck Arnley Replacement.

Kind Regards.

Wow... and I thought I had bad luck!

If the Hitachi will work, and it's easier and cheaper to get, why not use it? Both were made in Japan, at $100, even if it lasts half as long as the Denso, seems like a good deal to me. My 1985 ea82 GL wagon has Hitachi carb and distributor (original) with 169k miles. I understand wanting to keep it original, this is just my opinion.

Good luck!

Well... Yes, is Easier to Find parts for the Hitachi Distrubuitor but No, those won't fit nor Work on the Nippon Denso Distribuitor, which I Have two right now...

I Successfully done one Working Distribuitor, Mixing parts from my Old one and the Broken one found at a Junk Yard, as I Explained in Post Nº 6, so I was Able to Move my BumbleBeast but I am Afraid that the Old Module from the Junk Yard could fail in Any Moment...

So, Yesterday I Sold a Pair of Custom Wooden Enclosures for Speakers that I Built and Spent the Money in the New Ignition Module that I Found online at RockAuto, the one on the Link posted on Post Nº 16, my Idea is to Rebuild the Original Disty on my BumbleBeast and Keep the Mixed one as Spare.

Interesting note: The RockAuto web link Now Doesn't Show the Ignition Module I Purchased, (Cheap) because it was the Last One...

so the Thing is getting Scarse...

i have 6 of those nipon distributors outdated so just sitting some were very low miles i realy good condition

Well... I'm interested in Buying one (or maybe two) of those Ignition Modules, to Keep Spares and also maybe I Could Help another Subaru Owner Locally; So, Please send me a P.M. with Price of those so we can have a Deal. :D

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Mispelled Word, Fixed :)