Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DEBATE: diff of gen EA82 Heads

Ok, we all heard this over and over again. The generation 3 heads are supposed to be the least prone to cracking in the exhaust port area, while gen 2 heads are supposed to be second best, and gen 1 the worst. I am not going to talk about how to identify which is which, because I think we all know how by now. (All of the information above, I learned from the USMB.)

I just got off the phone with Aluminum Head Rebuilders (http://www.aluminumheads.com/) in Oregon, they told me that there is no difference between the generation 1, 2, and 3 EA82(T) heads. They have dug into who knows how many EA82 and EA82T heads and have not seen any major difference. They said that there is no difference in the material used or the amount used in the exhaust port area. They said that they all have the same chance of cracking in the exhaust port no matter what gen head it is. (None of this is taken to be a quote, just a summary of my understanding from talking on the phone with them.)

Now we have conflicting arguments. Is the information that I posted in the first paragraph fact or myth? Who is right? What we need is real proof. Is there any documents from Subaru telling the difference in the different generation heads?

In addition, 85 and 86 Turbos (gen1 heads) were prone to crack head under 60k miles. OR at the least bit of overheating.

So alumnum head rebuilders has a lot of gen 1 heads in stock, by no gen3?

I don't resell any gen1 heads to my customers, and only reuse them if I took them off and they weren't bad at that time.

All i know is that ive seen a many gen one heads done with. Ive got three sets of Gen 2s...the only failure i had was a burned exh. valve....and got those engines HOT too. no cracks....except for the normal hairline between the valves.

There are no differences between turbo and non turbo heads...other than an exh. valve, and the 1-3 side head has some ports to accomodate the turbo oil and coolant lines.

I know Andrew got a set of gen 2 heads from Flowmaster87GL and I looked at the a couple days ago to see if I could port and polish them easily. Well, the water jacket into the exhaust port has a crack in BOTH of them. The passenger side is a lot worst then the driver side but they still have cracks. I couldn't believe it!!

• 1 month later...

I have 85GL with EA82 engine with 1 gen head. Suba has 310000km with no problems. The only problem was back differential, which was 20000 miles without any lubricants.

Is there any difference on heads between EA82 with carb and EA82 with MPFi?

I am sorry about my english, because it is not my native language.

I have never even seen a gen 3 head, but the longest runing ea82 (9.5:1 spfi) I have ever seen had gen 1 heads and it was just in need of rings, at 204k miles. it seems like if you get the heads off of a car that made it past 150k, they are good. maybe they were having trouble with the casting, and some were good, but some failed as early as 117k.

I know Andrew got a set of gen 2 heads from Flowmaster87GL and I looked at the a couple days ago to see if I could port and polish them easily. Well, the water jacket into the exhaust port has a crack in BOTH of them. The passenger side is a lot worst then the driver side but they still have cracks. I couldn't believe it!!

Thats why I didnt charge him :grin: (cause I wasnt sure if they were shot or not)

Emily from CCR might have some good input here...

It is possible that the gen 3s are "always" in better shape because they're younger and less likely to have as much use on them, but they ARE different at least in the sense that the EA82 stamp on the bottom has changed. Why change the stamp only?