Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ignition switch or hot wire?

howdy y'all.

just picked up a 87 ea82 wagon from the junkyard.

got it for the tranny parts. [5spd d/r]

the car is complete and there is a possibility it may run as it looks like the reason it went to the salvage yard is a hit to the front end.

however i have no key for it. i do have another parts car with a key and an ignition switch.

is there a way to hot wire a car just to try and get it running?

or what is involved with swapping an ignition switch if you dont have a key for one of them?

any ideas are appreciated...

thank you.

hotwire, under hood.

jump a wire from the plus battery to the plus of the coil, that gives power to everything the back door way. you leave this one pluged in while the car is runing. then jump a wire from plus to engage the starter. as soon as the positive wire touches the solenoid wire(the one that has a single spade style plug on it) the starter will go, so make sure everything is clear of moving parts.

and no i dont steel cars

hey dave.

this is a parts car im gonna strip so i thought i would experiment with your method also.

all i can say is im gonna lock my doors from now on!!

talk about easy.

maybe they should delete this thread...

thanks to both of you for your replies.

got the motor to crank over, will try for fire tommorrow.

All you need to do to disable the steering lock is to pull out the little spring in the wheel lock.Now the only reason I know this is that my first Subaru's key broke off in the ignition while I was delivering pizza a few years ago. I needed to get on the road so I started tearing things on the column apart to get to the ignition switch. Once I got it started and moving I realized that I couldnt steer,so I found the lock and popped the little spring out.

Disclaimer.This information is not intended to help anyone steal a car.It is intended to help those with bad key and lock assemblys on thier Subarus to be able to drive said vehicle.