Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T questions

How much end play is acceptable on the crank shaft? Mine has like a 1/16th or less play from front to back.I'm judging this by the flywheel mounting flange.I grabbed it and moved it in and out a hair...more like 2 or 3 hairs. 1/16th = .0625,correct?A hair is usually around .002-.004...anyhow....

Let's call the end play I have around .010-.030-my best guess.A 1/16th might be a little extreme.

Yes,I do have a FSM but I don't have it handy. :rolleyes:

Also,the cover on the backof the block,behind the flywheel.....I know it's for access,but 2 Q's.

What's it called? and...

Should I get the gasket and reseal the thing before slapping this engine back together?I'm already doing the rear main,whole front of engine,turbo gaskets,clutch....etc.

The cover appears to be dry,not leaking.There's defintiely a slight leak to the rear main though.

And one more,The Turbo looks a little rusty colored.My sister inlaws had this alittle bit.Mine seems a litttle more orangish/rust in color.Turbine wheel spins but needs assistance.Are they supposed to spinfree?Or have a little resistance.Any thing I can do while it's all out of the car(to the turbo)??

Thanks for any help.

dont have that spec on hand for the crank.

the little cover is for crank case vevtilation/oil seperation. I dont know why they did it that way but they did. if its not leaking I would leave it alone.

the orange collor indicates it got hot. as for spinning they dont keep spinning much after you let go of the shaft(spun by hand) but it shold be easy to turn.