Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so some background, my car is a strut and outback body lifted 2000 obs. I recently added 1" wheel spacers, which have added a little vibration, but I don't think that is the sole issue. I've taken it to Tahuya and other orv parks around the area. I usually don't take it on extended trips at freeway speeds, but this weekend I went to bellingham and noticed intermitent vibrations at speeds 60-75 and thought it was the front axles. at the end of the trip I noticed a clunking sound every once and a while when turning left.

after my amatuer inspection (pulling and pushing on all axles and other suspension components) I can't figure it out. nothing looks broken or loose. I don't know how much play axles are supposed to have. both fronts don't appear to be broken but the have some play by the upper boot and can wiggle a little where they connect to the trans.

the shifter vibrates some and it feels different (almost sluglike) to drive. could it be a ball joint or seized wheel bearing? I have all terrain tires and no muffler so it's possible I didn't hear the warning signs.

luckily its not my dd so I have some time to figure this out, but I'm gonna need some help tracking down the problem. if you can think of anything specific to look at that doesn't involve splitting my tranny, I think I can handle it.

would you recommend I take it to les schwab for a suspension check? it's only $15 bucks and they might be able to find something I can't.

Ryan

Edited by wagonryan

Les Schwab most likely won't touch it as it is modified.

Did you look at your driveline?Ujoints will cause intermittent vibes.

Your front axles would likely pull to one side or another, I am betting wheel bearing though.

Put her up on jackstands and wiggle the entire wheel(tire and rim)If loose feeling there ya go.And I mean wiggle, not jerk back and forth.You need to be able to "feel" what your wiggling for.

It will be obvious if and when you feel in comparison to another wheel that is proper.

Also retorque your spacers.I never had to retorque mine, but I also torqued minbe to 100 ftlbs the first time I mounted them.

It is possible that some of th estrut mounting bolts are loose.

Go through and check ALL associated lift nuts and bolts before you go out again.

With no luck there, bring your car down to OLy and we'll check her out.

cheers

I think I found part of the problem...

I didn't use the tranny xmember from the legacy outback which created this gap

photo1.jpg

when I first did the body lift I stuck skateboard wheels on the xmember to make up for it, but it vibrated like crazy. I wonder if that'll fix it.

wheel spacers are on tight, and didn't feel any play with the wheel bearings.

Welp, pan back a bit and Identify that area for me LOL

That can't be right side up !:D:-p

cheers

Edit:So the big vobration from the skateboard wheels was because it was like making solid mounts.So isolate your trans through other means, by basically making your own mount.You can do this by getting some huge rubber body mounts, and stuffing them in there, or just fixing the crossmember proper.What exact crossmember do you need?

cheers

Edited by monstaru

haha it was right side up! the angle was from the front of the car looking back to the rear on the drivers side. the area in the picture is where the tranny should be sitting, but its not because (I think) the tranny mount in front of it isn't the 5spd legacy outback xmember. its my obs one. I guess it's supposed to drop it down a little bit.

there aren't any leggies in my local p&p so I might try to make my own.

I have another observation, my pedals vibrate. it's subtle. I'm really thinking thats my issue now because since the tranny isn't completely secure, so its just bouncing around. or something.

did you notice any added vibrations when you put on the wheel spacers?

haha it was right side up! the angle was from the front of the car looking back to the rear on the drivers side. the area in the picture is where the tranny should be sitting, but its not because (I think) the tranny mount in front of it isn't the 5spd legacy outback xmember. its my obs one. I guess it's supposed to drop it down a little bit.

there aren't any leggies in my local p&p so I might try to make my own.

I have another observation, my pedals vibrate. it's subtle. I'm really thinking thats my issue now because since the tranny isn't completely secure, so its just bouncing around. or something.

did you notice any added vibrations when you put on the wheel spacers?

I have never had vibes from my wheel spacers.And I have beat thhe ************ out of her .

cheers