Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 impreza l fwd 1.8, i believe my filler neck has a leak in it, i smells gas when ever im done driving right by the rear tire where the gas cap is, i put my face between the tire and quater panel and its real strong, also i cant exactly remember so correct me if im wrong, the fuel lines run inside the car? And i dont smell fuel, its been raining so thats why i havent gotten under the car to look, my main question is are the filler necks the same between a awd and fwd? I know the tanks are different and not sure about the filler necks, so any information would be appreciated (sorry for typos and such using cell phone )

Filler pipe rust is common. There are a few styles of fillers, but the differences are pretty obvious. You can use one from a Legacy or Impreza, AWD or FWD does not matter. Try to stay within a year or two of your car if you look for one in a junkyard. Remove the cover on the one on your car first (only 3 or 4 bolts) so you can get a general idea of which filler you need. A new one is about $90 i think from a dealer, but you can usually get lucky enough to find one in decent shape on a junkyard car.

The plastic cover on the filler is what causes the problem as it traps dirt against the filler neck. Just leave it off of the replacement.

Yes the filler pipe is definitely a likely suspect.

However, there are probably 37894 different emmissions/charcoal canister/solenoid pipes running under the vehicle too that could rust out.

I had that same smell, and I did sniffing through some plastic tubing to find where it was on the filler pipe on my '96, and it pretty much fixed it, but I can still smell fuel around it from somewhere if it's in the garage, definitely from one of those many many emmissions lines.

Fortunately on '96 you only have to be able to get it to start without the CEL on to pass, since it has a convenient flaw about the I/M's resetting on every start.

They differ by the EVAP hoses at the top. IIR they changed around 98 when the charcoal canister got moved to the back - I never tried but you can probably replumb if you get the wrong one.

IIR over 100 at dealer, someone lists redone ones with warranty on Ebay for about the same price.

DON'T install plastic protector on replacement.

I have found two at the junkyard in the last week that were like new. I soda blasted them, washed them and then rustoleum painted them black and have had no problems. I wouldn't not put the plastic thing on I just wash the car and make sure I rinse that area well.

Brought my car in to the shop at work today, (need another tech to do work cuz im notnallowed on my own car) gas leak is from above the tank, actual leak not evaporating, the rear trialing arms bushings are shot, need a passenger side axle, and the body/frame is rotted on both corners jus before the wheels and car will notpass inspection -_-