Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will any H6 swap into a H6?

Specifically which H6's will fit into a 2006 Tribeca?

technically, you can swap anything you want. you can drop a V8 in with enough talent or resources. but if you mean bolt in and plug and play:

I think you'll need a 2005+ due to the variable valve timing. Normally I wouldn't reply since I'm unsure but I haven't seen any swaps like this so hopefully this thread generates some responses. Shawn may know?

There's also DBW but that might be a simple intake manifold swap...not sure. Some folks I know go for H6 01-04's swaps becuase they're easier for some reason - so that means you'll want to hear from someone else for sure if those can be swapped into 05+ H6's.

Subaru's ER27 and EG33 definitely won't, completely different motors but are H6's. ER27 - 1988-1991 XT6's, EG33 1992-1997 SVX.

Found this:

EZ30D: 2999CC DOHC, 245ps (180 kW) @6600 rpm, 297Nm@4200 rpm. Bore 89.2 mm, Stroke 80 mm. Compression 10.7:1. This version had one exhaust port per cylinder, a drive-by-wire throttle, a black plastic intake manifold, VVL and AVCS. It was available in manual and automatic unlike the old EZ30D. Found in the 2003–2009 Legacy 3.0R, Outback 3.0R and 2006–2007 Tribeca.

It looks like a 03 - 09 legacy/outback may work in a Tribeca?

Anybody??

Edited by 3Pin
spelling

where did you see that information?

the 03-04's are just like the 01-02's (well very minor differences). i have an 03 and it's no different than my 02.

i mean - maybe it's just a matter of bolting the intake manifold on top of any of them...who knows...hopefully someone chimes in. kingbobdole did an H6 swap into an older subaru and was talking about some of the differences a couple years ago i just forget. he talked about it mostly on subaruxt.com, not here though he is a member here.

If you're swapping just the long block (no intake and accessories), I'm pretty sure you want the newer EZ30 with AVCS seeing as the TriBeCa should have it.

The information you posted is correct but in Japan hence the weird year changes. You will want to find a '05 and up EZ30 as the earlier ones are slightly different.

Ivan,

Just out of curiosity, will other 3.0's work as well? I have the original motor still in the car.

It appears she ran it without the oil cap on after an oil change and now it smokes at start up and it seems like half of the motor is not running. I will get the CEL's Monday.

Did it run low on oil has a two stage pan and oil cooler so probly had enuff for bottom end but pistons starved for oil and scratched up top side of skirt do a comp test and see if is low on side thats not working. Do's it have vano cams? or vvt there are many small pasages on it if it do's mabee somthing got pluged. Or oil got one the coils or plug boots and shorted them

I've seen some H6s that have been run low on oil and it can be bad. Had one that the plastic had broken off of a couple of the timing chain guides and the chains ate into the aluminum on the guides. #5 piston got oil starved and it ended up coming off of the connecting rod which broke the cylinder wall.

Not pretty once I got into it, thats for sure.

Edited by Caboobaroo

I just bought it like this and the owner said that she was 2-3 qts down after a fresh oil change. She said that she thought that the oil change place didn't put the oill cap back on the motor. Now it runs really bad and the CEL is on. idles OK, but barely drivable (super underpowered).

I will know more tomorrow.

I was looking at putting in a 05 3.0 out of an outback in it. Looks like it will fit.

Anybody done one of these?

either the misfires are letting too much unburned fuel through, or leaky injectors or too-high fuel pressure or ??? is flooding the car causing the misfires. (some kinda air/fuel ratio problem - many possibities including MAF and O2 sensor. might try running with the maf unplugged to see if the default map makes the car run better.)

You probably want to examine the coil pack and wires for age cracks/arcing first. If the wires are bad, don't get cheap replacements. Denso or OEM seem to be preferred.

• 2 weeks later...