Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been trying to sort out why the parking lights stay on, even with the parking light switch on the steering column turned off. I pulled a fuse out of the keyless remote wiring harness, and the parking lights go out, but the keyless remote is now disabled. I've tried repeatedly to reset the keyless remote, using the programming button on the wiring harness, turning the ignition on, holding the button down until the locks cycle, then pressing the "lock" button on the remote. Parking lights still on. Any suggestions? Replace the keyless entry control module?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for an hour or so to try "reseting" the keyless entry module?

If the problem is narrowed down to the keyless entry system, you may want to see if the subaru dealership can plug into the system and see what might be wrong.

The trouble with the parking lights may be due to a shorted switch contacts in the switch on top of the steering column. That would be my first suspect at least.

Hopefully you are using the proper programming procedure for your model year and style of car. I would try Josh's advice and disconnect the battery for a hour to see if that helps.

The switch on the steering column works properly. I'll try disconnecting the battery for an hour. Thanks.

Even though the switch seems to work ok there may be a short inside it. Even with the switch in the OFF position power runs through it to different contacts to pass power on to the light switch.

• 2 weeks later...