Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 to EJ22 Swap in CA

riz_o

I have a '97 2.5L LGT Manual with a seized engine. I plan on swapping it with an EJ22 from a '95 Legacy Auto.

I've read around and I've gotten the idea that this is basically a plug and play.

What I want to know is if anyone has done this CA and had any problems with passing smog? Since I am putting an older engine in my car will it pass CA emissions?

Thanks..

they're so similar, basically the same engine that's why it's so easy to swap. you'd have to have someone well versed in Subaru's look at the engine to even tell, there's no way for an average emissions worker to know.

though i understand CA is crazy with smog...do they actually look at every car and verify the engine?

the 95 is the easiest and cleanest to do.

they're so similar, basically the same engine that's why it's so easy to swap. you'd have to have someone well versed in Subaru's look at the engine to even tell, there's no way for an average emissions worker to know.

though i understand CA is crazy with smog...do they actually look at every car and verify the engine?

the 95 is the easiest and cleanest to do.

CA is assinine over emissions.. Well if I am using the same ECU it shouldn't matter right? I have never smogged a car with a swapped engine, so I don't know how they do that. Do they take the emission using the year of the car or would they use the year of the engine? Anyways, I guess I'll find out. I need to get this car running for my DD.

right - leave the EJ25 ECU, no need to touch that.

gotta be some CA folks here to respond. if they don't look at and thoroughly inspect (and know a lot about them) the engine they can't tell a difference.

did you google it? i'm sure there are hundreds/thousands of questions like this across all vehicles for that ignoramus state.

right - leave the EJ25 ECU, no need to touch that.

gotta be some CA folks here to respond. if they don't look at and thoroughly inspect (and know a lot about them) the engine they can't tell a difference.

did you google it? i'm sure there are hundreds/thousands of questions like this across all vehicles for that ignoramus state.

Thanks for the replies.. but I have to rethink my options.

Apparently I can't do this swap in CA, well not legally anyways.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

This is from the CA EPA Air Resource Board website:

"Engine Changes

Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine."

Anyone know where I can get cheap rebuilt EJ25s for my LGT?

the thing that will tip them off will be the evap canister line.

Doing this swap leaves you with an unused tube at the front, passenger side of the intake manifold. (97 canister is in rear, 95 up front)

But, aside from that, they may not notice......if they do......tell them it is a 97 engine and all the emmisions equipment is still original.

I think the key will be not volunteering too much information.

(97 canister is in rear, 95 up front)
use a 1997 EJ22 intake manifold with front canister so it's identical to the EJ25?

The law is meaningless - how do they enforce it? How do they inspect? They're not going to disassemble the motor...so what do they do? Make it look right and be done with it, I'd do it.

Most automotive laws regarding emissions, fluid, exhaust, and more - are violated by the thousands ever day. Find out how they inspect, not what is written, and fly in under that.