Ultimate Subaru Message Board

T71w 4wd and a 1st revision 4wd question

Recently picked up a 1980 Brat. It came with a spare tranny and I'd like to convert it to a dual range. Anyone know if its the same case or a totally different beast. If it is, what does it entail to install the d/r guts and shifter? Or am I better off just looking for a complete trans. Thanks

what engine does your brat have? If it is an 1800 cc, then you just need to find a dual range transmission from another subaru with an 1800 cc pushrod motor.

If it is a 1600 cc engine, that's a bit tougher. you would have to use the bellhousing or just swap the whole engine from a later 1600 cc motor with the side mounted starter and the dual range tranny.

I have heard there was a dual range tranny that mated up to the first gen subarus, but in 15 years of junk yard hounding I have never seen one.

I have also never heard of anyone converting a transmission itself to dual range by swapping out the innards. If it is possible, you would need a donor tranny anyways, and at that point it would be a lot easier to just use the whole tranny

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I should just look for a 1800/tranny combo and swap out the whole enchilada. Is that a pretty straight forward swap or am I opening a huge can of worms? Didn't the first gen style brat in 81 come with that running gear?

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I should just look for a 1800/tranny combo and swap out the whole enchilada. Is that a pretty straight forward swap or am I opening a huge can of worms? Didn't the first gen style brat in 81 come with that running gear?

yes and that is the tough thing if you want to do what you suggest, you need a crossmember from a gen one car with an ea81. that would be an 81 brat, I thought they may have put them in 80 brats as well but I don't know.

To do what you want is not difficult, but the parts to make it work are rare. The 81 brat crossmember or the "fat case" ea71 motor are both rare and you will need one or the other. ea81 motors and dual range trannys are not that hard to find, but you will need that extra rare piece to make them work in your car.

I wonder if anyone on the board can confirm the Gen 1 Brumby/Brat actually had a different engine cross member between the EA71 and EA81 versions?

My 1978 wagon was purchased with the EA81 and dual range tranny from a '81 Brumby/Brat when I originally brought it (16 years ago!).

When the dual range came to a grinding halt last year my only choice was to install an original EA71/single range transmission combo. I had always assumed the engine cross member was changed when the EA81/dual range was added but now after swapping in the EA71/single range I am not so sure...

In a nutshell, both engine/transmission combinations worked in my 1978 body shell so I am not sure a different cross member is actually needed. I did not swap the cross member, and both cross members I have appear to be the same.

Well, I can tell you I swapped back and forth several times (usually back) and never had an issue with the crossmember in any car. And it was always my experience that a good running solid lifter 1600 had more poop than an 1800 (or maybe they just tried harder :D ). Slap a Weber on and you're definitely blowin' 18's doors. And with that tiny little stroke, they will SCREAM!

Edited by Subaru Scott