Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual range dccd possible?

Ive been going thru all of my used transmissions, just had a lightbulb moment..

Does anyone know if it would it be possible to swap the transfer case from a JDM dccd 5MT onto a 87-89 RX FT4WD dual range box? Or anyone know of someone who has attempted it? Much like stuffing in a EJ gearset it should fit phyiscally right?

It hasn't been done yet nor do I believe it can be. Bolt pattern is wrong, mainshaft diameter and spline counts are different. Not saying that with enough money it couldn't be done, but at that point, it would be cheaper to ship an EJ box from Australia. Since I have the plans for building the 411 DR box and have been tearing other tranny's apart trying to improve on it, I'm going with no. Lol

Ahh I see what you mean, so technically it could be phase 2 5mt even tho it was first made in 1994? If so, the dccd tail section will only bolt up to 99+ USDM 5mt's, bummer.

I am getting conflicting reports on if early v4 STI RA 5mt's are phase 1 or phase 2 tho, maybe there is hope?

If the v4 STI RA tail section is phase one then..

89 RX DR case halves/gearset + ej pinion shaft/ring gear + v4 STI RA phase 1 dccd tail section = win?

Edited by Ibreakstuff

I believe it is. The rear casing is the important part, it has to move with the centre diff otherwise it won't work.

The rear casing bolt pattern is common on the manual gearboxes from the L series right up to the point that subaru went to the 6 speed manuals, this is where they changed if there is one.

You can build a dual range dccd from an L series RX AWD gearbox, swap the pinion to the diff ratio you want that matches the dccd. If you go with the 1.59:1 L series low range you will need to shave the ring gear for the 4.11 front diff and even more on the 4.44 ring gear. Bolt it together, wire up the dccd and you should be good to go. Downer is that if you're running an EJ engine you'll need an adaptor plate and most likely a beefed up EA clutch too.

Cheers

Bennie

You can build a dual range dccd from an L series RX AWD gearbox, swap the pinion to the diff ratio you want that matches the dccd. If you go with the 1.59:1 L series low range you will need to shave the ring gear for the 4.11 front diff and even more on the 4.44 ring gear. Bolt it together, wire up the dccd and you should be good to go. Downer is that if you're running an EJ engine you'll need an adaptor plate and most likely a beefed up EA clutch too.

Awesome, that's what I have.. a few 89 rx boxes. No EJ engine for the 3door yet, but I would probably still want to keep the dual range. Can't beat the poor mans 6 speed. And the car is just a rallyx project, mainly for learning and fun.. So 1.196 low is fine, esp if I'm dropping the pinion/ring to 3.9/4.11/4.44.

phase 1 and 2 center diff housings are interchangeable.

So yes, it absolutely is possible...just a matter of money. 5MT DCCD centers are not cheap.

Thanks for the heads up, I had a suspicion it was possible. I have seen dccd tail sections sell on iclub/nasioc for reasonable prices, some people just want the gearset and ditch/sell off the tail section. Its now on the wish list lol.

My head is spinning now, not sure what I want to do next lol. The idea of a dual range lsd front/dccd center/lsd rear in 500$ car sounds kinda hot. With a HCF it would be a cheap little rally destroyer. I guess a vlsd center would probably work fine too.

I guess I should stop typing and go work on the bucket.

Yea, I'm thinking the same thing. Would be awesome in my Brat. But, I'm going to drive it some with the VLSD before I dump more money into it just because it would be cool. And if it seems to be a problem, it's not too hard to upgrade. I think with the body lift, I could probably do it without dropping the transmission.