Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea 82 over cooling!?

My 88 dl just won't warm up! When I bought it it was overheating. Rad was plugged. So I replaced the rad and now I can barely keep it above the c mark. After some reading I took off the mech fan. Helped a little. Then I figured since the rad was so plugged maybe the t stat was stuck open. When I removed it I found that someone drilled a hole in it so I replaced it. Flushed out my heater core with rad flush and then 50/50 and filled everything up with a pre deluded 50/50 mix and I still can't keep any heat. I've read that these run really cool so I've been thinking maybe block off half my rad for winter? If I do that I should probably put the fan back on but it doesn't shut off so is there a way to service these or just replace the clutch? Or rewire the electric fan to come on at 180/90? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Did you replace with an OEM rad?

-Are you sure that the temp sensor working properly?

-Does your heater blow hot?

Pulling the clutch fan should have helped a lot. I ran without one for almost a year in the bay area (mild/cold temps) with normal op temps. On hot days it would creep up so I put it back on. I've considered replacing both fans with slim electrics, one on the tsensor and the other on a toggle switch for very hot days (or rallycross).

Here's the cooling section of the 89 fsm:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/114593551/ea82-cooling-system

Edited by Ibreakstuff

Just went through the same thing. Got a thermostat, even though the one I had was new this summer. Put it in and it started getting back to normal range. Come to find out I had put a 180 in during the summer. The 195 made all the difference.

No I didn't get OEM t stat or rad. T stat was from schmucks. Everything I've done has made the temp more consistent(about an 8th past the c mark) and it holds there. Before as soon as I started driving it would drop to c. Where is it supposed to be reading. About a quarter up I would think? Thanks for the link and advice guys

Here's the cooling section of the 89 fsm:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/114593551/ea82-cooling-system

Poop I don't think my fan works. Before I fixed the gaskets it was running hot. I'm a little confused I swear I read that the e fan is dedicated to the a/c so I thought that ment it will only come on irregardless of temp if the a/c is on? But yesterday I read that only a/c equiped cars have a clutch fan?

Blocking off the radiator might help, but it's a bandaid.

The heater core is not enough to keep the engine below operating temp unless it's REALLY cold outside. Which means you're getting circulation through the radiator. which can only mean your tstat isn't operating correctly. Get an OEM one, and report back.

Q: What should I do?

A: Get an OEM t-stat

Q: Really, should I do that?

A: Yes... get a Subaru t-stat. 195 degrees.

Q: Are you sure that will work?

A: Yes... get OEM.

What do they do... They buy one from Autozone.

Now that's solid proof... "You can't fix stupid"

My apologies to peacewize.

Everyone else... lol. :horse:

Thanks. AutoZone sells a 192 t stat for $9 Ill let you know how it goes

Well before you do more of this:banghead: Put thermo in a pan of water-boiling 190-195, if you have a cooking temp gauge in the kitchen-4 meat use that to make sure it works! I just put 1 in my buddies 4runner last winter- He"s really cheap too didn"t want to spring 4 the TOY 1 and he called me up complaining he didn"t have heat a month ago and I told him to go spend some $$ an buy the fac. stuff.... The cheep bas***d went thru 3 of em from auto zone:banghead: before he ponied up the $$ 4 the toy one!! Now he"s all:D:D:D now!! He spent more time an gas an being:mad::banghead: Yellin at me..I told him:horse:!!!

There are that many bad t-stats being made? How do these manufacturers stay in business if their product is that bad? LOL! Like I said, t-stat technology really isnt that technical. Just who do you think makes the OEM thermostats? Its not like there are more than a couple t-stat makers in the world.

There are that many bad t-stats being made? How do these manufacturers stay in business if their product is that bad? LOL! Like I said, t-stat technology really isnt that technical. Just who do you think makes the OEM thermostats? Its not like there are more than a couple t-stat makers in the world.

I"ve seen them made everywhere-China-OF course,Hong Kong,Brazil,Israel,Bangladesh,You get the idea! I think the Japan one"s I.E. Toy,Sub,Hon, O.E. one"s are the best... I"ve had those bad too but rare!

I put one in from advanced...I'm thinking its wrong i wasn't paying attention and from now only OEM parts. Granted i bought the best one from a good brand, but i think you're all on to something because it just don't seem right...and OEM is just better. Atleast with Subies

Where do your temp gauges all sit? 92 Loyale and mine is between half and nothing.

Q: What should I do?

A: Get an OEM t-stat

Q: Really, should I do that?

A: Yes... get a Subaru t-stat. 195 degrees.

Q: Are you sure that will work?

A: Yes... get OEM.

What do they do... They buy one from Autozone.

Now that's solid proof... "You can't fix stupid"

My apologies to peacewize.

Everyone else... lol. :horse:

Everywhere I called sells 180 t stats except AutoZone which sells a 192. I figure the extra three degrees wouldn't make much difference. I do understand that quality is of main concern but since I live in a small town I don't have the option to go to a Subaru dealer a get OEM this is the next best option for me. To be honest I couldn't care less if the heater doesn't get blazing hot but since my girlfriend drives it to work everyday she complains it's too cold. As long as I can get it hot enough to make her happy and last through the winter I'm ok with that, after all happy wife is a happy life right? I'm sure we've all been there lol

Its up to you, but in terms of motors, I wouldnt skimp out. Order one from 1stsubaruparts.com or one of the other OEM subaru internet stores, Im sure theres more Im not mentioning.

Maybe theres a STANT thermostat for the DL? - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128919

Heres one for $10.35 plus shipping (or order more than $25 lol)

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-45859-SuperStat-Thermostat-Fahrenheit/dp/B000C823WI/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1354099187&sr=1-2&ymm=1988%3Asubaru%3Adl&keywords=STANT+thermostat+1988+subaru+dl

Just go with OEM.. sure maybe you make the woman happy, but what if it fails, overheats and goes kaboom... then its walkin in the cold, no bueno.

Everywhere I called sells 180 t stats except AutoZone which sells a 192. I figure the extra three degrees wouldn't make much difference. I do understand that quality is of main concern but since I live in a small town I don't have the option to go to a Subaru dealer a get OEM this is the next best option for me. To be honest I couldn't care less if the heater doesn't get blazing hot but since my girlfriend drives it to work everyday she complains it's too cold. As long as I can get it hot enough to make her happy and last through the winter I'm ok with that, after all happy wife is a happy life right? I'm sure we've all been there lol

The concern is not the temperature rating. It's how reliably it works, the size of the opening, and location/quality of the "jiggle" valve.

IMO you'd be better off putting some cardboard in front of the rad for a week while you wait for one to get shipped from you from 1stsubaru (now http://www.discountedsubaruparts.com )

The concern is not the temperature rating. It's how reliably it works, the size of the opening, and location/quality of the "jiggle" valve.

IMO you'd be better off putting some cardboard in front of the rad for a week while you wait for one to get shipped from you from 1stsubaru (now www.discountedsubaruparts.com )

Let me add that a thermostat equal to the Subaru unit, IIRC, has a much better control built in. The opening and closing rates are gental and gradual, with the larger spring and better materials, combined with the larger opening, offer superior flow.

The glut of junk (cheap) thermostats on the market is at an all time high. The Subaru stat has a rubber seal on the valve too.

And if momma ain't happy, no one is happy:)

Doug

yeah, basically every non-oem thermostat has problems. ive had 3 of them, each one caused issues.

one of them would block off flow until the temp gauge got to 1/2 and then "pop" open. others tended to get stuck open easily.

i have the over-cooling issue during winter too. i dont know if ill bother removing the clutch fan, but the old cardboard in front of the radiator is as old as liquid cooled engines. there is nothing wrong with that trick, especially with how little it costs, and how long you need the trick to last. ill probably be sliding one in front of my condenser here today or tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice and links much appreciated. Ordered one this morning so hopefully it will be here before next Saturday or it will be a long drive lol. Like I said I knew quality is the main concern with non OEM but for some reason I was thinking if it failed it would get stuck open, Psh of only right? and even though its not too hard I really don't want to do another head gasket right now so thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences with me

Thanks for all the advice and links much appreciated. Ordered one this morning so hopefully it will be here before next Saturday or it will be a long drive lol. Like I said I knew quality is the main concern with non OEM but for some reason I was thinking if it failed it would get stuck open, Psh of only right? and even though its not too hard I really don't want to do another head gasket right now so thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences with me

They almost always do stick open (or the spring wears out, and they open too soon, or don't close all the way). Someone is making a fortune off of the "Fail Safe" tstat marketing, though.

I work at Autozone. They're made in Israel. If someone walks in and asks for a tstat, I'll sell them one. But I don't buy them.

Thats :eek:!!! To answer the Temp gauge question. My cars ea81s run 1/4 to under a1/2 summer time! My ea82s the same! My OB w/bad HGs- C2Hot who knows 1/2hr-2:headbang:

I work at Autozone. They're made in Israel. If someone walks in and asks for a tstat, I'll sell them one. But I don't buy them.

I work at Advance.. and same here. I only buy things that I'm going to warranty use (like pads/rotors, tune up stuff). HOWEVER, we CAN get nice IMC stuff (which is like a large rockauto, sometimes).

But all I know is Subaru dealers can still get OEM axles.. at 440/ea. :drunk: