Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Subaru Loyale Wagon

Scottycocktail

I've had her about 4 years. Even at 205K, I ABSOLUTELY Love this car: BUT advice is needed below;

017.jpg

066.jpg

261.jpg

We bought her for $600 off of a couple that was driving from Portland, OR to NYC. Every city they stopped in they posted the Sub on Craiglist. They made it all the way to Florida before they found someone (me) who fell in love.

I have had all of the belts changed, regularly serviced the oil, tires replaced a couple of time, AC customized for the 'newer' freon, brakes redone (as well as can be on the old-non-removable drums. Additionally, I have all of the service records from myself and the previous owner.

Unfortunately, the time has come to weigh continued investment versus reward and safety. I don't feel comfortable taking her on the highway any longer as she sputters horribly when you attempt to accelerate too quickly... to the point she wants to stall. That issue coupled with others seems to have me thinking the fuel pump is on it's last legs (doesn't want to start is only been turned off for a short period of time). The BIGGEST concern I have now is that both the upper and lower ball joints need replacing. This is the investment that I just don't see making sense at this point. And I don't feel comfortable driving my wife around in a car that could have the wheels fall off like a Chris Farley movie.

So the question is, is this car salable? It seems like it would be a great "around town" car for someone who was into older cars and had the finesse to drive one. Or with all of the issues I listed is is best / safest to junk it (breaks my heart).

I see 91-92 models on CL for 2K+ and that seems CRAZY to me. So I figured I'd reach out to you all. You have been great in the past and I always welcome and appreciate any input you can provide.

Last, if you know anyone in the Tampa Bay area of Florida looking to part ways with their Subaru, keep me in mind ;)

Thanks.

Scott

It doesn't have upper ball joints, and the few small things you have described wrong with it, are cheap, and easy fixes, especially on a car that is clean as far as rust goes. I say fix it! But that's just me. Sounds like it needs a tune up, which is easy to do, and the parts are cheap, and the ball joints are very inexpensive as well.

Thanks Bratman. My knowledge is SO limited. This is why I come here and find the info so helpful. I've been tossing around the idea of keeping it. My mechanic is awesome, but maybe I need to find someone who knows Subs better than they do for some quotes / advice. Thanks again man.

Yeah if he is telling you upper and lower ball joints, than you may want to find a more Subaru specific shop. Subarus only have lower ball joints, and they can be had for less than $50 for both of them, one for each side. And the sputtering and low power you're experiencing, could just be a simple tune up, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap. And there's a chance the fuel pump is getting tired, but not likely. They usually go forever, until they rust, which shouldn't be as much of an issue as it is around these parts with all the road salt during the winter. It really shouldn't take a whole lot to fix it.

your symptoms sound like it could be a coolant temp sensor. easy to fix if you can find the part.

The car has value being a western car with no rust.

Therefore doing the ball joints will not be as difficult as a rust belt car(bolts breaking off)

You could attempt the work yourself if you had the time and enough basic tools. The fuel pump is easy as it is in-line and is replaceable with a generic ford rear tank pump.

But first, if the car is doggy once warmed up, or hard to start until it cools off, i would look at the engine temp sensor, the one on the thermostat housing with the 2 wire green connector(not the same as the dash gauge)

Yes it kind of sounds like some basic maintenance and possibly a few worn suspension components, things any used car will need eventually. Another thing I appreciate about soobs is they usually fare pretty well in the head on and IIHS offset crash tests (except keep your left foot off that little 'foot rest' on the left side.)

Fix it! It's rather unlikely that what you are describing is anything expensive or difficult to fix. If you have a basic set of tools, you can do a full tune up, swap sensors and probably even swap out those ball joints.

If you're willing to get a little dirty, post up a thread in the "older generation" section and describe in detail what's been going wrong and ask for advice on how to proceed.

These old subies are mini tanks. They will run forever with a little upkeep. And a rust free one is a rarity. Fix it if you can. I hate seeing them going to the crusher or beaten to death by those who don't appreciate them.