Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone replace the fuel pump pre-emptively?

So from fuel pump failure posts on the 90's/00's it seems they usually go about 200k miles? Just roughly seems to be around where those failures occur, maybe starting around 180k. Not all of them of course but seems to be what I see in the posts the ones that do fail.

Anyone replace the pump in advance? There is the case for if it ain't broke don't fix it, but that kind of breakdown doesn't seem necessarily like a roadside repair, and I figure $100 for a tow plus the pita of being stranded and then having to do the job anyway.

I've wondered the same thing. Subaru fuel pump failure is quite rare...and many of the ones replaced must be due to the caps.

I have an extra cap in each of mine.

I should get one used pump to have on hand or put in the one we travel with. They're bulky though, can I install a second pump somewhere...LOL Since I have two of the same H6 vehicles I plan to keep a long time the price of a new one probably makes twice the sense, but man those things are steep!

Maybe they'll have an online Christmas coupon...

Edited by grossgary

I've wondered the same thing. Subaru fuel pump failure is quite rare...and many of the ones replaced must be due to the caps.

I have an extra cap in each of mine.

I should get one used pump to have on hand or put in the one we travel with. They're bulky though, can I install a second pump somewhere...LOL Since I have two of the same H6 vehicles I plan to keep a long time the price of a new one probably makes twice the sense, but man those things are steep!

Maybe they'll have an online Christmas coupon...

You can get DW WRX fuel pumps for under $100 shipped, and the pump itself is smaller then a can of soda...

Or is the H6 pump a whole different mongrel?