Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapping auto for a 5 speed

i have a a few questions about swapping them. i have an 88 spfi gl with push button 4 wheel drive. i found this old brown subaru by a friends shop and he remembers it getting parked there because something went wrong with the engine. if the clutch is good i was going to buy the car from him to get that 5 speed. my main question is, it looks older than mine like earlier 80s possibly carbureted. also wondering it has a lever for the 4wd and mine has a push button. would it swap over?

yep dual range has the lever, if its a push button they use the same vacuum system and wiring so it would be pretty straight forward.

i think the trans tunnel on the autos is a little smaller so you might need to clearance it with a hammer.

you'll need the trans, the flywheel and flywheel bolts,(manual are longer)

maybe the tranny crossmember and the driveshaft. I'm not sure about the starter but thats easy to figure out. and ofcourse the interior peices, which should mount right up.

if you do get the car get new clutch you will thank yourself later.

Get us some pictures, so we can help you better.

Edited by AKghandi

• 5 weeks later...

hey, thanks for the info guys, i actually talked to the guy, and he is actually taking the engine, and giving me the whole car minus the engine for 100 bucks. perfect for a donor car. and i found out its a 5 speed with dual range 4wd. ive never seen one like it in my area. anything i should be aware of when doing this switch? i know about the bolt on things, but is there things i need to plug, add ect? and he claims it was a running car, but its a total rust bucket so he is just taking the engine to put in another sub in good shape i guess.