Ultimate Subaru Message Board

installing the sunroof motor, what window position?

so i tore down and re connected the sunroof cables to the glass mount brackets of my broken sunroof, (99 LGT Sedan)

what position should the window be in before reinstalling the motor?

is there anything more to it than just getting the motor to the closed position, and positioning the glass brackets to the close position?

i didnt see any real markings and couldnt find anything in the fsm about it.

Cables usually just wrap around the drive mechanism on the motor. The motor is powered by a circuit breaker similar to a power window, it stops running when the load trips the breaker. Thus the sunroof stops when it gets to the end of the track.

I could be way of base though. Got pictures of this getup?

It doesn't actually have the load things. Unless the 99 is vastly different than my 98.

In my 98, the window doesn't stop when it's all the way open. It has a slip clutch or something in there. If you hold the button down all the way open, you can hear the motor laboring.

It stops half way closed (so you don't close your head in it??), and it stops when it's closed. When it's closed, if the motor keeps turning, it flips the back up. When you flip the back down again, it stops in the closed position.

The linkage is pretty tricky in that if you keep running the motor it'll close, then flip up. So there's a breaker in there to stop the motor at closed, and to stop the motor at half way. I found it easiest to run the motor till it stopped in the closed position, and install it with the roof closed. That's an easy index to find and should work pretty well.

i suppose it would probably just be easy enough to get the motor centered just by popping the roof in the upward position (or making it think its doing that, then bring it back down to the closed position, then reinstall the glass brackets and track into the car so that i can attach the glass in its closed position, then stick the motor in..

i'll try to document the procedure if i can remember to do so, sometimes i just get into the project and forget all about taking a few pics

well, my repair seemed to work, i just tried it on the basement floor without the glass, but it moved around like it should, i need to find some super lube for the track tho, just to make sure its all slick.

whats the best kinda lube for a sunroof track?