Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So Blu2 (yes that is now his official name) has sturts so bad it may compete with that imprezza video. Normally I would a- pay someone B- pull them out myself and take them to a machine shop to have the springs swapped.

My Mechanic is still out of business. My favorite machine shop no longer exists due to Sandy.

Since I have the luxury of a 2nd car I can afford to take time to do this in my driveway. I am looking for a recomendation on spring compressors. These are not my favorite tools in the world for a driveway mechanic as far as literal work space.

SO I am looking for recomendations as I will be doing all four.

Perhaps the 2005-2009 generation of Outbacks are different, but on my 2000 Outback I was unable to compress the springs far enough to free up the top nut. And I was using a fairly high quality set of spring compressors from Sears. Had to take them to a mechanic with a more sophisticated device.

the harbor freight simple bolt/clamp type work fine for me and i've used them a bunch of times now as well like Larry. like he just said - oil the threads.

i have air tools and can zip them right up, don't know that I'd want to turn that thing by hand, but surely not a big deal if you got time and only have to do it once.

the tool rental deals is a good call too.

be sure to mark orientation, if you don't get it exact the top and bottom mounts won't be lined up since they are independent of each other when taken apart.

based on recommendations I skipped replacing the springs and my rear drivers side spring failed in a few months so I had to do the rear all over again with new springs. may want to replace springs too, they weren't even that expensive.

if you wanted less down time, i thought about doing this - if you got the top bits used - mounts, dust boot, bushing, washer stuff (which aren't worth anything) you could build a new strut with a new spring and strut and just swap it out with your old ones. you'd have to figure out the orientation thing though or just get an entire used assembly.

Sandy relief event for nipper - Can you stand a long down time? I'll do one or both rear struts for you if you ship the parts! Someone else get the fronts for him? :banana: