Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The rear bushings on my '92 Turbo are wore out real bad. Enough to make the car swerve if there's enough weight put on that end.

So, every subaru ive ever owned has had torsion bars and shocks. Never have i seen so many trailing arms, springs and bushings. My mechanic said they need to be pressed into place, but im sure i can manage to get them out and new ones in without a press... right? Also, im not sure if each bushing has a different name, but i noticed 2 that were destroyed. Both on the drivers side, but im sure the passenger side is just as bad.

I didnt have a chance to look at the front suspension, but my mechanic said most the damage is in the rear, and the front is fine. Is it okay to just replace the rear bushings, or would it be best to replace all the bushings? Im short on budget and time here, just need to get the car "Safe" for now.

Is this a terribly difficult job? I have plenty of tools, and room to work, but the structure of this legacy is all new to me.

Thanks all

-Brian

You will need a press to get the bushings on the trailing arm for sure. The lateral links you might be able to get by without one...but it'd be far easier.

My suggestion would be to dissamble yourself....take all the parts to a shop, have them press out old ones & press in new ones.....then you reassemble. That will save you the most amount of money.

About the front......you might as well do the front.....it's only 4 more bushings in total.

this pic should help.

PFF69-PFR69_legacy.jpg

numbers 6 & 7 are the bushings for the trailing links

numbers 4 & 5 are the bushings for the lateral links

numbers 1 & 2 are the bushings for the front A-arm.

Those are the bushings I would replace.

So you'd need 2 (# 6) & (# 7) bushings & 4 (# 4) & (# 5) bushings.

and if you do the front..... 2 (# 1) & (# 2) bushings.

This page gives prices and drop down list of the different stuff. I'm not sure I'd mess with any of the other stuff...but that's me...especially if you're strapped for cash

http://isrperformance.com/scripts/details.cfm?Item=PFF69-PFR69_legacy

Getting the old bushings out is no problem with a large C-clamp or a ball joint press. Getting the new ones in however requres a special tool to compress the bushing before it enters the lateral link end. Think shoehorn. I didn't have the proper tool when I replaced the left lateral link bushings on the outback, so the bushings got screwed up and they need to be redone. I have had no luck with either my regular parts supplier nor the manufacturer of subaru special service tools obtaining one of these tools. I am going to take measurements from the lateral link and new bushing and have a guy at work turn the tool for me on an engine lathe.

I think taking them off yourself and having the shop press in the new bushings is good advice.