Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is a strut tower brace and why should I have one?

Been looking at replacing front/rear struts on Ye Olde 99 Subaru Impreza Outback with 210,000 glorious miles and ran across 'strut tower braces' in my search for parts.

What's up with a 'strut tower brace?' Is this simply a racing deal or would it be beneficial to add to 'the beast?'

Thanks,

UMT

Been looking at replacing front/rear struts on Ye Olde 99 Subaru Impreza Outback with 210,000 glorious miles and ran across 'strut tower braces' in my search for parts.

What's up with a 'strut tower brace?' Is this simply a racing deal or would it be beneficial to add to 'the beast?'

Thanks,

UMT

If you drive on bumpy roads or such, it prevents the struts from flexing inwards at the top. I have one on both front and rear since I do a fair amount of rallycross. If you don't go off road much you really wouldn't need the added rigidity. Good for added stability if you go track racing.

A strut tower brace is a rather clever way to extract cash from those of us who drive our cars on the road each day (or week, or month, or whatever) for absolutely nothing other than a psychological effect, and _maybepossiblyperhaps_ a slightly harsher ride.

:D

A strut tower brace is a rather clever way to extract cash from those of us who drive our cars on the road each day (or week, or month, or whatever) for absolutely nothing other than a psychological effect, and _maybepossiblyperhaps_ a slightly harsher ride.

:D

Ha. Thanks, my friend!

UMT