Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was just wondering if asnyone knew of a place online i could get a new shift cable for a 1999 legacy l wagon, with an automatic. I have searched all my usual places, and so far noone lists one, and i know the stealership is going to want a fortune. I changed the trans in it, and when i went to take it for a test drive, the cable snapped, so now im on a hunt for one. Either send me links if anyone knows of a place, or let me know if you might have one hanging around you want to sell.

There's bound to be a junkyard near you that has a few.

Dealer part number. Looks like it lists for $81. You can probably order from an online dealer for a little cheaper but shipping will be extra.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/35151AC030/

There is also car-part.com.

Junkyards around here would be hit or miss, as i live in the rust belt, and i have never seen one that wasnt all rusted around the lock bolts where it bolts to the bottom of the shift lever. I probably could just buy the lever and cable assembly from one of the local yards, but if i have to adjust it at all, it will probably snap by those two bolts.

my local dealer matches online pricing so you could get it for $65 from the dealer, no shipping, and they might be able to get it sooner.

millions of ebay transactions happen just fine, i've bought literally hundreds of items and tons of people use it. i would strongly consider it an option in the future.

but the $65 possible dealer price isn't much more so the ebay price so it's not a huge savings here.

maybe you can cross reference which years are compatible with yours (opposed forces can help) and someone on here will have one.

looks like lots of 95-99's will work - but the 4EAT did change some around 99, maybe not the cable though.

i probably have one somewhere but no clue where or time to look.

Edited by grossgary