Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Ej22 to replace 1996 EJ22 in Impreza - Alt/AC bracket issues

Quick question/summary:

What Alternator/AC bracket(s) and accessories do I need from a '97 EJ22 to work on my '96 Impreza?

Here's what I've tried:

1. '97 vertical bracket (#1 below): Works w/the '96 Alt but not the AC compressor - the top 2 bolts don't line up.

2. '96 Vertical bracket: Works w/'96 Alt and the top 2 bolts of AC will bolt, but not the bottom piece. I have this installed w/just one bottom bolt - w/out the triangle piece.

-Car is a '96 Impreza, automatic, that had a dead EJ22 due the PO running it

out of oil (about the only way to kill the EJ22 from what I've read).

-Since it was an AT, it has the EGR.

-I found a '97 EJ22 from a Legacy - complete engine - block/heads/intake manifold (IM)- but no EGR - (NOTE: IT HAD a Flex plate- not a flywheel.)

-Intention was to swap the IM from the '96 to the '97 and put in an EGR port on the '97 head.

-I tapped the head on the '97 - not too tough thanks to this POST (other than it was hard to find a 3/8" shank 9/16" drill bit - ended up buying a 1/2" drill).

-The '97 came w/no alternator or AC compressor (as expected), but did have the big vertical bracket that the Alternator and AC bolt onto.....

BUT the '97 bracket is not compatible w/my '96 AC compressor, although the alternator would fit. The top of the bracket on the '97 is curved slightly and won't allow the '96 compressor to bolt up. When I use the '96 bracket the bottom triangle shaped piece doesn't fit. :(

Here's a visual for the '97 parts- I'm referring to #1 and #13:

366494973201.png

Before I go buying parts, I just wanted to see if I'm making this too hard!

Thanks,

Td

Edited by wtdash

Thanks for the replies, but sorry i wasn't clear. I've updated the original Post.

On further inspection, It appears I need a '97 AC compressor and bottom bracket (#13 in pic) to make this work like the factory setup.

Right now I have the '96 Alt/AC bracket w/the '96 AC compressor and alternator attached, w/OUT the bottom bracket piece - just one bottom bolt installed.

It doesn't look like it's going anywhere, but there's gotta be a reason Subaru put that extra bottom bracket on there.

Td

The issue appears to be Impreza and Legacy use different AC compressors. Looking on opposedforces.com to compare.

I moved all the '96 Impreza stuff to the '97 Legacy block and the P/S is fine, but the AC isn't installed correctly....I'm 99% sure that bottom bracket mount is different,too....Look @ this pic for a '96 vs. the one for the '97.

As the pics show, the AC compressor, main bracket and small bottom bracket are not the same between '96 and '97.

I have all the '96 parts shown,but only the '97 Alt/AC bracket (#1 in pic above and 2nd pic below.)

371494873202.png

vs. the '97 (same as in my 1st post):

366494973201.png

The differences in both the Alt/AC main bracket - #9 in pic - are different than corresponding parts above.

The '96 bottom bracket for the AC uses 14mm bolts.

:confused:

obviously you have studied this.

just a guess, but the smaller ''triangle'' shaped bottom brackets are different sizes. my guess is they are different to make up for the differences in the AC compressors.

from the pics, there are 4 long horizontal bolts holding the AC compressor on to the tall bracket and 3 short bolts holding the tall bracket to the block, 2 down from the top and 2 in from the front.

is the ''triangle'' piece the problem ?? it has one bolt down from the top into the block???

which bolt hole does not line up???

is there a spare bolt hole on the block near where the ''triangle'' piece bolts to the block??

and we mean no offense, this is the first time i have ever heard this mentioned.

for years we have been saying that ALL ej22 blocks are the same. we live by this basic truth.

Edited by johnceggleston

The impreza uses a completely different bracket for the a/c/alternator than the legacy, but either bracket will bolt to that engine. When i did my EJ25 to EJ22 swap, i took the EJ22 out of an impreza, and had to use the a/c/alternator bracket off the EJ25, but it bolted up with no issues on the EJ22 engine.

is the ''triangle'' piece the problem ?? it has one bolt down from the top into the block???

which bolt hole does not line up???

is there a spare bolt hole on the block near where the ''triangle'' piece bolts to the block??

Yep...the triangle/bottom bracket won't work w/my '96 Impreza compressor and Alt/AC bracket. The bolt hole is there...just need the '97 bracket to use it.

and we mean no offense, this is the first time i have ever heard this mentioned.

for years we have been saying that ALL ej22 blocks are the same. we live by this basic truth.

I agree...I'm not trying to change that truth. Just one of those 'gotchas'.

Thanks for the info ,

Td

Edited by wtdash

When I use the '96 bracket the bottom triangle shaped piece doesn't fit.

The triangles will be different too, to match their respective bracket. I would think if the 97 engine came without a compressor, it would not have come with the triangle. So you should only have the one off your car. Use the 96 Vertical bracket, the 96 compressor, and what should be the only triangle you have. Should be all the stuff you took out before swap.

If that stuff was all there before you took it apart, it should all still be there and work.

You shouldn't need to source anything else.

It's worth noting the triangle mount is sometime tough to install. It really helps to use a 1/4 ratchet with an extension to sneak under the AC bracket. Install the traingle to the compressor, before fastening the 14mm bolt to the head. If not that bolt head will be in the way of the other bolt.

Edited by Gloyale