Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alternator pulley

I ordered an alternator and the ad had two pulleys the one I received only has one. Can I remove the old pulley and bolt it to the new alternator or did they send me the wrong part?

thank you for your help

1987 subaru gl ea82

Since youre changing alternators, you might want to look into the altima alt. swap.. 90A unit, simple swap.

I belive your model will need the two pulleys. should be able to swap them, but I think the single pully ones are lower amperage anyways.. not sure on that though

I disagree and have looked at hundreds of subaru gls and loyales, and have not seen a single one that required 2 pulleys around the alternator. The primary purpose of the rear belt is to turn the AC pump, but it also turns the power steering. The primary purpose of the front belt is to turn the alternator and the water pump, but it also turns the power steering. The alternator sits so far forward that it is IMPOSSIBLE to connect the rear belt to the alternator.

GD is right... The double pulley setup is used when the alt is between the P/S pump and A/C compressor (Panasonic-made compressor) whereas some EA82s and EA81s had the non-panasonic compressor (name escapes me ATM) where the Alt was mounted outboard (hence the one groove pulley).

I'm also finding more of the reman alts that come from Remy (Duralast/Worldwide) as being shipped with NEW double pulleys. From what I've seen, you can use the double groove pulley, just run the belt on the groove closest to the alt body so it will line up with the other belts.

I can confirm that some EA82's have two same lenght belts running in them. I have a EA82T in my wagona nd it does not have AC in it. It has always been running with the two belts on it.

Here is a picture of mine when I was fitting TD04 and top mount cooler to it:

SAM_0179.JPG

As you can see there's both belts in there. It's actually a good thing have them both in. If the other one brakes it sill runs normally with the other and you can just replace them later on.

Edited by -tombba-

I ordered an alternator and the ad had two pulleys the one I received only has one. Can I remove the old pulley and bolt it to the new alternator or did they send me the wrong part?

thank you for your help

1987 subaru gl ea82

So in answer to your original question, no you did not receive the wrong part. You received a part that can be used in all of the EA82's, even the ones that incredibly don't have air conditioning, perhaps due to local climate (i.e. Finland). You can either leave the double pulley on and use just the rear most pulley to put the fan belt in, or you can remove the double pulley and reinstall your old single pulley.

Many DL's and entry level Loyales did not have AC. There are also outboard AC compressor setups as used on turbos, etc that use the twin groove pulley. It's not just in Finland and you show you inexperience with such statements.

There are some setups where the single groove MUST be used as the twin groove will interfere with another belt that runs in front of the single groove pulley.

There are a LOT of variations.

GD

General, We are not attempting to solve all subaru fan belts problems in the universe here. We are just attempting to solve one problem. There is a lot of misdirection here, by those attempting to bring in the non-typical setups in order to get this gentleman to put two fan belts on his alternator, when previously he only had one fan belt. Simple problem = simple solution.

simple answer is that if you dont need the second belt use the pully that is on it. if you do need it or want it, just switch the pulley for the one on the old alt.

belt systems are simple and not universal. just hook it up so that everything spins the way you want it. the more important thing that hasnt been mentioned is to make sure that whatver setup you use is properly in lined up from pulley to pulley. look from the top and if the belt has to go forward or backwards change the setup to make it straight.

General, We are not attempting to solve all subaru fan belts problems in the universe here. We are just attempting to solve one problem. There is a lot of misdirection here, by those attempting to bring in the non-typical setups in order to get this gentleman to put two fan belts on his alternator, when previously he only had one fan belt. Simple problem = simple solution.

You just aren't listening. He has two belts and a dual groove pulley now and the new alt came with a single groove pulley. Simple solution is to swap the pulley. Not redesign the belt system to use different length belts.

Reading comprehension - get some.

GD