Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior Leaking Hatchback

So I'm yanking out my nasty seats and find there is water under the rubber floor mat. Before I get the hose on it in the daylight, are there any places EA-81 hatchbacks tend to leak water into the cab?

Scaring the h@ll out of me that the floor might be rotted out cause the rest of the car is pretty rust-free.

Thanks - Mark

So I got the seats out and the driver side was a pond. Both front and back. Car is not being drivien currently and it's sitting on level ground.

Has anyone removed the rubber mat and insulation? Wondering if the car will be too loud if I take it all out for good. Maybe coat the floor with POR-15 or maybe the spray-on bed liner stuff.

Any thoughts? Syill haven't found where it's leaking from yet.

thanks - Mark

i took my carpet and pading of my 86 spfi a/t sedan ,because the whole carpet front and back were soaked w/ antifreeze ,my heater core was bad , i cleaned the carpet and hung it in my basement to dry , no extra noise ,maybe alittle cooler until the heater warms up , lows has some stuff called extend in a spray can , but i have never used it yet

Hey Mark.....

Most common places for any Hatch To leak are

# 1. Bottom corners of Both sides of Windshield.....Look very closely at the Interior Corners for a water line ....It will be odd-color or Dis-coloration of the Black Rubber....if you have it, you can replace Rubber Gasket, or Run a thin Sealer bead of Clear Silicone around upper and Inner portion of Outside gasket line

# 2. On Hatches, The Rear side windows with time will Lose their Seal ability due to those windows being opened and Closed so many times.....

You will see a water trail here as well...

The Hinge side of these windows Will flex out of Wack, thus creating a Loose gasket edge.....You can fix this by Pulling them off and Rebending them a bit.....Be carefull not to over do it....:)

Hope this helps,

John........