Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Had problems installing new engine. When I set the engine back in and went to align the crank plate to the converter holes, to install the bolts, the crank wouldn't turn, as if something was in a bind.

Ended up pulling the converter out a little, until it would rotate and installed the bolts. BIG mistake, because when I bolted the tranny to the engine apparently the converter didn't go in correctly, and was told I probably messed up the transmission in doing so. Since the tranny had 112k miles on it and my transmission guy said he would rebuild and install it for 2 grand I removed the torque converter, dropped the engine in and let my transmission guy deal with the mating of the tranny to the engine.

My question is, what could have put the converter in a bind with the crank plate where I couldn't turn the crank to align the bolt holes on the converter?

Used transmission or pull yours apart and replace the oil pump in it. HUGE rip off to pay $2k for that.

GD

You could ask if the $2k is for a more extensive job than just the oil pump. all you should need is the transmission oil pump, mechanic might not know that. if not, he may come in a little lower i price. but if the mechanic doesn't know that i'd wonder if he knows how to set the backlash, that's a rather technical job that few people do. or he can probably simply count to retain the existing backlash, if he's familiar with a Subaru transmission. Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

Well I guess it's too late at this point, because the job had already been done by the time I was able to post anything on here. I tried to post on here before I went through all of this, but apparently my account wasn't validated yet, so the post weren't going through, unbeknown to me.

At any rate, he had to replace the main input shaft and torque converter, since the shaft was stuck inside the converter and I guess the trans oil pump, as well as removing and installing the tranny.

I guess you live and learn, but a costly lesson it was.

You can bet that I am going to go to school on all facets of Subaru repair, on this forum, so next time I can just service it myself the next time something goes awry.

Mind you, I have always done my repair work on the other autos I've owned, but this is my first Subaru, which is a whole different animal than the American pos's I'm used to working on.

On a lighter note, I love my first Subaru and will continue to own them! Thanks again for all of your responses and advice!