Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mileage ?

I just picked up my first Subie a few weeks ago.. 1994 Loyale 4wd Wagon.

1.8L with 5 spd. 175 70 r13 tires Kinda disappointed in the fuel economy. Figured 25 mpg would be easy, but cant squeeze more than 21 out of her.

What do you guys get out of your EA82's?

auto or manual?

the autos are listed to get much lower mileage if you look at the site for the comission or whatever that tracks it.

either way id say that 21 is low, and something could be tweeked or fixed to improve it. could be a thousand things though.

check your odometer against the mile markers (or another more reliable means). I have lsightly bigger tires than stock so I have to add 10% to get an accurate reading.

Good point! Should be no surprises. Plan for the worst right?

Just did the timing belts, water pump thermostat etc. You are right on the money I think with all the other maintenance item. Added to my "to do" list. Will keep you all posted! Thanks!

All my rigs took a crap in the milage department lately.

I think this years winter blend gas we are getting here in the northwest is terrible.

My GF's loyale with an EJ18 otherwise totally stock, is only getting 24-27

My 86 GL with an EJ22, 215/65/15 tires, and 4.11 AWD......I get about 19-22.

Both cars did much better this summer.

Ain't just in your area with the crappy gas this Winter. I've lost between 60-70 miles per tank in the past few fills of the tank. Same daily trips, same weekend errands ran.

Not to nice with the go-pedal either. :)

Been getting around 390 - 400 miles between fills, and the most I've put in the tank is 13.9xx gallons, which put it in the mid/low 28 MPG range.

But lately, that's dropped to 320 or so miles per tank.

'88 GL Wagon, EA82 SPFI, FTAWD 5-speed running only on the front axles, (have the center diff locked), with rear section of driveshaft out, (bad u-joints).

My '87 turbo only gets about 20-21 mpg on stock size wheels. I'm a bit worried that this will get much worse when I put my larger Peugeot wheels with off-road tires on there. Probably should do an EJ22 swap, I put one in my Vanagon and it gets better mileage, despite being huge, heavy, and anything BUT aerodynamic!

My '87 turbo only gets about 20-21 mpg on stock size wheels. I'm a bit worried that this will get much worse when I put my larger Peugeot wheels with off-road tires on there. Probably should do an EJ22 swap, I put one in my Vanagon and it gets better mileage, despite being huge, heavy, and anything BUT aerodynamic!

My mileage is about the same as yours and I have larger tires, but i also have the 3.9 dual range out of a non turbo car(instead of 3.7), so it balances out somewhat. EJ is always worth it, if you can afford it.

my speedometer only reads 4mph slow, with 28" tires. :D

Yes, winter fuel is oxygenated. The oxygen displaces the hydrocarbons and lowers the amount of energy in the fuel, which translates to worse MPG.

But you guys are looking at this all wrong, winter fuel typically has higher octane rating and the oxygenation itself creates more power too! :grin:

My EJ20G swap automatic gets 25 MPG highway (70 MPH) and maybe 15 MPG city.

Yes, winter fuel is oxygenated. The oxygen displaces the hydrocarbons and lowers the amount of energy in the fuel, which translates to worse MPG.

But you guys are looking at this all wrong, winter fuel typically has higher octane rating and the oxygenation itself creates more power too! :grin:

My EJ20G swap automatic gets 25 MPG highway (70 MPH) and maybe 15 MPG city.

this explains why my EA82t love winter

Wondering if this winter mix you guys talk about "settles" and you get worse milage on the last half of the tank..

I've been noticing the first half of my tank seems to get good milage, based on the needle position anyway....I know if I hit 150 miles traveled before the needle hits half tank mark I'm not doing too badly

More often than not, lately, the second half of the tank is a dismal drop of needle and the milage calculation proves the total milage kinda sucked...