Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Datsaru

RMS

I never would have thought a bad fan sw would lead to a head light swap. PA010001.jpg

in prepping my 91 loyale for winter i noticed the fan failed to kick in. i jumped power to the fan and it worked so the problem was the thermo sw. i had just changed the coolant:banghead: being lazy i thought i would wire in a push fan from a xj6 that i ran in my 86gl. the xj6 fan fits great but interferes with the grill. PA010002.jpg i had a datsun 510 grill hanging around and it fit nicely between the stock lights. a buddy came by and saw what i was doing. he said why don't you stick the datsun lights in while your at it. hating the candles in jam jars that pass for head lights on the loyale i thought i would give it a try and see how they fit.PA010005-1_zpsbafaedcd.jpg

the width was perfect now the fun part how to mount them? being a 510 guy i have lots of spares kicking around and i took a complete rad support and with a couple of cuts i had mounts for the light buckets. PA010004-1_zps60558fb2.jpg

it took a little bending and some nylon spacers to get the hood to close and the lights to stop pointing at the sky. the hardest part was figuring out how to wire it all up. I ran leads from the stock light sockets to relays and they work like stock.PA010006.jpg

if captain hindsight was around he would have let me know that it's much faster and easier to swap the fan switch.

now what do i do with all the spare suby headlights and my stone guards from AU PA080003.jpg

thanks McBrat,TOsborn and herb :D

I think you should replace the Datsun badge with a Subaru badge...
im down with confusing people, i will go badgeless or make my own Dats.A.ru badge. P1080007_zpsa406244b.jpg

Nice Power Wagon! recently I helped a friend of mine pull the motor in his M37
the pw looks good @ 5ft but she is ruff and is only a parts truck for my 51 B1 pw. the m37 is a far superior truck. one of my m37srsz_dscn0747dd.jpghttp://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5162

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks peacewize pm sent.    

easy mirror blank off found now on to the hard one a left side blank off from a right hand drive market

what mirror would look better on the Datsaru?  $T2eC16F,!wsE9suw))7vBRMcc+Uwy!~~60_12.J

$(KGrHqJHJDYFC0sF1dRzBRMcc08gow~~60_12.J

Looking at it straight on in the Pics it looks like a old citroen-meserati somewhat which is odd since I owned a couple of old 510s!!! Yeah I agree the GLs headlights Blow in the dark :huh: At least now you can put some CIBIE"s or HELLA"s in there W/80/100 Watt bulbs and see in the dark :D !!! Go with the short chrome mirrors-Like the saying goes....If it don"t go chrome it!!

• 6 years later...

around the time of the headlight conversion, i took my transfer pump with a few gallons of 80/90w in the bucket to a buddy's house . i placed the transfer pump in a milk crate and bungeed it in the back of the datsaru..... well the top heavy bucket jumped out of the milk crate on a fun corner, spilling the gear oil all over the cargo area. 45min of hwy driving and I make it home to clean up the mess.  I pulled the carpet, tossed it in a bucket to soak. scrubbed the floors.......  

I thought it was good.

within a week of baking in the sun the oil went rancid.  even with the window down I could only make it a few miles before feeling sick.  so I parked it and used it to store datsun door cards.  I started her a few times over the years and scrubbed off the green when too unsightly. dropped in a new battery last week sat inside were I was met with the smell of datsun jute and vinyl, turned the key and nothing but joy., didn't miss a beat!  cleaned out the all the parts and gave her a good detailing... man the uv that crept through the cracks did some damage.  proud of a job well done I called it a night ....... the next day when I opened the door I was met by the familiar smell of rancid gear oil.

out with a air chisel did the under lay fly and much and more cleaning was needed for this here ride

then I did lower ball joints front wheel bearings pads, brake fluid suck and flush.  insured it and drove off 150km of 5 year old gas... granted it was 94 with some seafoam.

did the fuel filter and sent the woman out on her 50km commute.    im here writing this so it wasn't that bad.

next on the list is exhaust and to find a fix for the buzzing 4wd sw ?

• 4 weeks later...

got a oem replacement muffler for $60ca at the local parts store. then welded up a hole under a heat shield on the passenger side of Y.

with the exhaust all quiet the words of an old Subaru mechanic filled my ear hole : "never fix a subaru's leaky exhaust you will only notice the other problems". 

well after two weeks of commuting i get a call ........"hey the cars making this  Honorable ticking noise " .....
.........pulled cleaned and decoked.   did the valve seals and oil pump rubbers. soaked and pumped hla's. waiting on oil pan gasket set and cleaning up a dr trans to swap in.

is there other things that I should do  ? file or drill cooling or oil passages ? stretch or shim springs ?

well the ea82 is back together.  I primed the oil pump before installing the heads to pump out any contaminants. then primed it with the cam housings on. passenger side oil spilled out the cam then the spray bar and the drivers side the oil oozed from the  spray bar but not the cam.........  turned the cam 180 then oil came out the cam..

is there only a partial grove on the cam tower ? 

IMG_2684.jpg