Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know that DOHC was not available on the EJ22 in North America but I was wondering if they came on EJ22s in some other markets. I'm having some delusions of grandeur(sp) and DOHC would be a nice thing to add to this.

The only DOHC EJ22 was the EJ22T that was in the VERY limited-production (400) 22B in Japan and a handful in Europe.

Except for that car, the US was the only market to receive the EJ22 at all, I'm pretty sure.

If you are having aspirations of a DOHC EJ22, try this: Find an EJ22T, the best Subaru engine ever IMO, and find a way to get a set of AVCS DOHC EJ257 heads off the STi/Forester-T/Baja-T. Those heads will fit an EJ22T, and then you have a Subaru engine with forged bottom end and an unquestionable reputation, with variable valve timing, DOHC, sodium-filled valves, etc. etc. Talk about an engine! :brow:

Originally posted by subyluvr2212

If you are having aspirations of a DOHC EJ22, try this: Find an EJ22T, the best Subaru engine ever IMO, and find a way to get a set of AVCS DOHC EJ257 heads off the STi/Forester-T/Baja-T. Those heads will fit an EJ22T, and then you have a Subaru engine with forged bottom end and an unquestionable reputation, with variable valve timing, DOHC, sodium-filled valves, etc. etc. Talk about an engine! :brow:

Then... while your at it, throw in a 2.5 crank and wind up with 2.4 liters (almost a 2.457, minus the thin walking bores). :drunk:

• 6 months later...

you can hybrid an EJ22x into DOHC...search NASIOC for it...and there were only 424 Impreza 22B STi's with the EJ22G DOHC engine in it....

Easy to do...mix and match heads and head gaskets...and voila! 2.2 DOHC...either turbo or NA...most do the EJ22G USDM legacy block and WRX/RS DOHC/STi AVCS heads for big time turbo HP.

and of course now, the EJ18 comes into the subject.

Anybody know if all or some were semi-closed deck? The EJ18 is a good candidate for a low expense turbo engine, minus the one downside from it being the pistons. cast pistons with forged crank and rods? meh. but - it's got more meat to the cylinders than the EJ22E, and we know that people turbo those (with 2.2T internals, 14psi has been done.) So I think a properly built EJ18 with good pistons could push some serious power. heck the EJ257 is semi closed deck and it does just fine.

We over on LCo have a member who put DOHC EJ20 heads on a new EJ22T block and put it in his 99 OBS. Car hauls, and not surprisingly sounds more like an EJ20 than an EJ22...

There's nothing wrong with an EJ18 either. Two EJ18 Imprezas are turbo'ed here locally, I haven't seen anything of the FWD auto 4-door Impreza that the guy put a turbo on, maybe he blew it up. But a Subaru tech at my local dealer has a 96 Impreza Brighton coupe with a turbo'ed EJ18. Car is a monster, it's only held back by its less-than-skillful driver :rolleyes:

you can hybrid an EJ22x into DOHC...search NASIOC for it...and there were only 424 Impreza 22B STi's with the EJ22G DOHC engine in it....

Easy to do...mix and match heads and head gaskets...and voila! 2.2 DOHC...either turbo or NA...most do the EJ22G USDM legacy block and WRX/RS DOHC/STi AVCS heads for big time turbo HP.

Right idea, wrong heads. The heads you mentioned here are for open or semi-open deck engines, since all the USDM EJ22Gs I've seen were closed deck, you'll need to get a set of closed deck heads, those came on the early EJ20G used in the Legacys (JDM and others)

Corky-why would you need spefic heads for a specific engine, they all match up, the only difference is the coolant passages, and so far noone has had anything detrimental happen from that.

Jon-I believe all of the Phase I engines had cast pistons and forged crank/rods (maybe not the sti engines) so I don't think it's that big of a deal

Corky-why would you need spefic heads for a specific engine, they all match up, the only difference is the coolant passages, and so far noone has had anything detrimental happen from that.

Jon-I believe all of the Phase I engines had cast pistons and forged crank/rods (maybe not the sti engines) so I don't think it's that big of a deal

Yeah...i thought that the only thing you had to match up properly was the headgasket to the proper HEAD and BORE of the block.

Well, would you rather be safe or sorry. I also visit NASIOC board alot, that this subject has been talked almost to death there. I believe the concenus is that you need to match the heads to the engine. It is not just the coolant passages that need to line up, there are oil passages there also. Do you want oil in the water and water in the oil? I would feel much safer knowing the all the passages line up like they should.

oooh yeah, forgot about all of that. open deck and closed deck stuff.

So there has been one confirmed EJ18E with Ej20G heads that didn't have oil/water issues.

I thought the EJ22 had all forged internals (including pistons) but I may be wrong.

I guess I should ask (should have asked before), what year EJ22 do you want to put these heads on? I know that the early ones (89-94) are closed deck, which also covers the turbocharged EJ22G, for those engines you would need a closed deck head from an EJ20G (or the JDM N/A EJ20, also DOHC). I know in the newer cars the EJ22 was changed slightly, but I don't know what the decking is in those engines. The best thing is to match the engine deck to heads from and engine with like decking (closed, semi-closed, or open). The engine I will be putting together is an EJ22G out of a Turbo Legacy, I have the heads off of an EJ20G. It may be awhile before this comes together, but when I'm done, I should have something close to a 22B engine.

I guess I should ask (should have asked before), what year EJ22 do you want to put these heads on? I know that the early ones (89-94) are closed deck, which also covers the turbocharged EJ22G, for those engines you would need a closed deck head from an EJ20G (or the JDM N/A EJ20, also DOHC). I know in the newer cars the EJ22 was changed slightly, but I don't know what the decking is in those engines. The best thing is to match the engine deck to heads from and engine with like decking (closed, semi-closed, or open). The engine I will be putting together is an EJ22G out of a Turbo Legacy, I have the heads off of an EJ20G. It may be awhile before this comes together, but when I'm done, I should have something close to a 22B engine.

So the NA EJ22E (i think its 'E') from the legacy 90-94 is closed deck? Ive got one of those engines sitting here...I should take the heads off...i dont recall seeing any grid pattern on the block....

edit: dont take that as a smart-***** remark, I just remember reading the NA EJ22's are all open deck.

The EJ22 TURBO is the EJ22G.

No, it's an EJ22T

Read here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=83599&highlight=ej22t#83599

Here's a post explaining the difference between the EJ22G and the EJ22T: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=85027#85027

Or find a 91-94 legacy turbo and look at the engine code on the placard on the strut tower.

I know that the early ones (89-94) are closed deck
there are no 89-90 legacy turbos, or even 89 legacy's for that matter

I'll ask again though has anyone had any actual problems with oil and coolant mixing? I seriously want to know this, not trying to be a wongleflute.

So the NA EJ22E (i think its 'E') from the legacy 90-94 is closed deck? Ive got one of those engines sitting here...I should take the heads off...i dont recall seeing any grid pattern on the block....

edit: dont take that as a smart-***** remark, I just remember reading the NA EJ22's are all open deck.

no it's not. There aren't any NA Closed deck EJ-series engine. Factory anyway.

no it's not. There aren't any NA Closed deck EJ-series engine. Factory anyway.

Thats what I thought.

the EJ22 T vs G makes sense now, thanks for the links.

Altough...i do remember reading something about a FACTORY 155 or so HP EJ20 that was closed deck...Marnix has one in his Legacy over in Europe.

there are no 89-90 legacy turbos, or even 89 legacy's for that matter

I'll ask again though has anyone had any actual problems with oil and coolant mixing? I seriously want to know this, not trying to be a wongleflute.

Yes, there were legacys in 89...thats when they came out. AND..there were turbos...the RS over seas and the RS here...EJ20x and EJ22T...we never got the EJ20x version tho. There was even an STi Legacy in tohse days as well.

Ive not read into detail the problems of a hybrid EJxx setup so I dont know the A...