Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale rough starting

I have a 91 Loyale that is the love of the family.

Recently it has become very difficult to start. You have to bury the accerator pedal and once it catches it runs very rough until it warms up. Once it warms up its fine.I have replaced the fuel filter and checked to make sure the fuel pump is working(it is).

The only other thing I have noticed is once it catches and starts to run from a cold engine you smell fuel from the exhaust until it warms up.

Any idea's.

The temp sensor is the one on the thermostat housing correct? Where is the idle air control valve located?

The temp sensor near the therostat is only like 20 bucks so if thats the correct sensor I 'll start their first and replace it.

This Loyale wagon was gift from my Uncle, it was his "extra" car and was garage kept all its life until a few years ago when he gave it to my wife . And it just went over 100K.

This cars a keeper

Edited by thekauz
More thoughts

the engine temp sensor is the 2 wire unit with the green plug for the ecu. the single spade sensor is for the dash gauge.

The IAC is located on the throttle body and has the hose going between it and the intake boot. Soak some sea foam in that piece. There are plenyt of write ups for servicing the IAC

Best place to buy is online as most parts houses want 100+ for the CTS (coolant temp sensor). Rockauto.com is my favorite as they have good prices on SMP (standard motor products) which IMO is a good line. (SMP is also BWD, fyi)

What you could do as well is unplug the CTS (green, two wire sensor just under the thermostat goose neck) and see if it changes how it starts/runs.

Haven't had a chance to test the sensor yet. It was raining

For days and I'm just getting over the flu.

Does any one know if the TCS on other year subarus

Will fit my 91? I can't imagine a different Sensor for every

Model and year. But I'm headed to the boneyard Monday to look

For a Subby.

• 4 months later...

It was the Idle air control valve1 replaced that and its running pretty well. Still likes to be warmed up before she's driven though. 

Now to figure out what I should go ahead and replace before it fails....